Discuss Corrosion problem in central heating system with standard plastic piping? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Five years ago I had a new central heating system installed. The pipework for two of the radiators was done in plastic, running under the floorboards. Although the system was dosed with plenty of Sentinel X100 inhibitor, after about 18 months the water suddenly started to go brown, and I had to drain the system, flush and refill it, dosing with Sentinel again. The same thing seems to happen every 18 months. The only explanation I can think of is that the plastic pipe used by the installer may not have had an oxygen barrier. The system is operating at about 70 degrees and my theory is that the rate of oxygen intake through the walls of the plastic pipe is such that the Sentinel becomes depleted much more quickly than it would normally. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Also can somebody tell me if it is possible to tell the difference between barrier and non-barrier pipe just by looking at what is printed on the pipe?

Tbh that’s normal for plastic piping as the fittings arnt barrier and the pipe isn’t 100% air tight

When you say it's normal, do you mean that having to add inhibitor very regularly is normal with plastic pipes?

yep or discoloured water normally around 2 years they need attention

It's unusual for Plastic pipe so recent not to be barrier. Have you checked the printed text on the pipework?

I've had a few issues with systems that were done in plastic 15/20+ years ago when the initial pipework wasn't barrier, but nearly all pipework is now from the past 10+ years.

Is it possible Air is getting in somewhere?

It's unusual for Plastic pipe so recent not to be barrier. Have you checked the printed text on the pipework?

I've had a few issues with systems that were done in plastic 15/20+ years ago when the initial pipework wasn't barrier, but nearly all pipework is now from the past 10+ years.

Is it possible Air is getting in somewhere?
Thanks for that. I plan to check what's printed on the pipe as soon as I can find time to lift the floorboards. I can't think where else air could be getting in. Also I don't have air collecting in the radiators apart from during the first few weeks after draining and re-filling the system.

If it was drawing in oxygen through the pipes i'd expect you to be constantly getting air in the system at the highest point. From my experience of none barrier systems this is what usually happens, or the Auto Airvent lets air out and the system is having to be repressurised regularly.

Your easiest way would be take a valve off and take an insert out to see if there's a barrier.

Assuming its a sealed system It might also be worth checking out to see if the system filling valve is set to autofill, this will hide any small leaks but the introduced fresh water will rapidly absorb any inhibitor and lead to corrosion.

Reply to Corrosion problem in central heating system with standard plastic piping? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Came across this today. Plastic central heating pipe directly buried in wall. Wall to be plastered soon. Isn't the plaster going to crack as soon...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock