Discuss Coper olives for Conex fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kc1

I'm planning to use 15mm plastic pipe into conex compression fittings (with inserts of course).

The pipe manufacturer recommends using copper olives (rather than brass ones).

So i've bought some copper olives, but they are only 6mm wide compared to the 8mm ones in the conex fittings,
and consequently I run out of turns on the compression fitting thread, before being able to apply the recommended (by conex) 1 1/2 turns.

Can any suggest where i might get copper olives suitable for conex fittings, or some other solution!

Kevin.

Have you unscrewed the nut to see if the olive has gripped the plastic pipe?

Last edited:
whats the pipework for?

anything hot should be brass olives as copper has more thermal movement and is more prone to leaks on compression fittings.

many prefer not to use brass on plastic pipe but i find it ok if you have the fluted/knurled brass ones. the solid ring type dont always compress before pipe squeezes

You cant use super-seal inserts when connecting plastic pipe via compression fittings.

It has to be a normal insert,

If you use super-seal they blow off

Don't put plastic into the compression coupling. Put a short length of copper tube into the connex compression coupling (with it's original olive) then onto that copper tail, push a straight pushfit connector and work away in that.

I know that sounds stupid - but putting plastic into compression joints just looks wrong.

For instance, I fitted a kickspace heater today. The kickspace heater comes supplied with two flexi hoses so it can be pulled out for maintenance. I connected a four inch length of copper into the flexi hose, and then a JG speedfit coupling onto the copper. Then I connected up the 15mm JG pipe that had been fed behind the kitchen units. I could have plumbed the plastic pipe straight into the compression fittings, but I don't feel comfortable with that.

It's heating pipework - so thanks for the tip about avoiding copper olives for hot applications.

I don't really want to put a short length of copper in-between, since more joints just sounds like a bad idea, would seem like multiplying up the chance of a leak.

I've now spoken to Conex technical, and their advise is that their brass olives are fine to use on PB pipe... We will see!

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Coper olives for Conex fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock