Discuss Confused ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harvey

Hi all

I was thinking of fitting a extra radiator to my system, bathroom is rather chilly went to turn off the combi and noticed something that looks a little odd.

The CH flow and return pipes are connected to the boiler in 15mm copper this runs for around a metre then the 15mm copper changes to 22mm plastic is this normal?
was wondering weather I should replace the 15mm with 22mm copper while I have the system drained? I presume I could get new washers and fittings? would be a bit of a big job as room is very tight and don`t really want to invent a job for no real purpose
what i`m trying to say is does it really matter?
Thanks muchly for any advice
Cheers

if its working now theres a saying "if it aint broke dont fix it"

if its working now theres a saying "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Hi
That thought did cross my mind but was a bit concerned with putting an extra rad
Does anyone know why the pipework would be this way?
Thanks

Hi
That thought did cross my mind but was a bit concerned with putting an extra rad
Does anyone know why the pipework would be this way?
Thanks
Installer didn't follow manufacturer's instructions?

Lazy installer usually or very small plumber who can't put a bend in 22mm pipe. Not an easy job and some boilers have to have their heat exchangers bled manually after drain down if you forget the shut offs so this would mean taking the cover off and so Gas Safe person only. I would stick the new rad in then if necessary throttle another rad or two if necessary to get the balance right.

Lazy installer usually or very small plumber who can't put a bend in 22mm pipe. Not an easy job and some boilers have to have their heat exchangers bled manually after drain down if you forget the shut offs so this would mean taking the cover off and so Gas Safe person only. I would stick the new rad in then if necessary throttle another rad or two if necessary to get the balance right.

Thanks for the info
I guess by throttle you mean try to balance the system ?
I never asked the plumber if he was gas safe registered when he did the central heating, I know the plumber who installed the boiler was corgi registered way back then and until recently we only used the combi for hot water
Cheers again

Thanks for the info
I guess by throttle you mean try to balance the system ?
I never asked the plumber if he was gas safe registered when he did the central heating, I know the plumber who installed the boiler was corgi registered way back then and until recently we only used the combi for hot water
Cheers again

No problem. Combis by their pressurised nature tend to be a lot more forgiving on the balancing side so you may have no problems at all. In general upstairs rads need a lot less flow and a rad in the kitchen can generally be treated the same.

Biggest problem with 15 is not that it won't work, but the lack of flow through the boiler can cause problems over time. Blockages and kettling namely. I would never do it. 22 minimum to the last rad.

I thought it was farely standard to do that in the manufacturers instructions

Ie 1st meter in copper to the boiler ., . ..

Is it leaking?

There is nothing wrong with plastic pipework as long as it is correctly installed.

I thought it was farely standard to do that in the manufacturers instructions

Ie 1st meter in copper to the boiler ., . ..

Is it leaking?

There is nothing wrong with plastic pipework as long as it is correctly installed.

The point here is the diameter not the materials . To get to the 22 the flow bottle necks through the 15 which is connected to the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Confused ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock