Discuss Condensation In Bathroom With No Window - Best Extractor Solution? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We recently had a ground floor bathroom/wet room finished off, It's about 3.6m long by 2.7m wide, tiled from floor to ceiling and has no window in there due to a future extension that will take place on the other side of the rear wall.

Unfortunately, i've Instantly noticed when showering that alot of condensation is forming on the tiles/mirrors and the room stays really wet and humid in there for hours afterwards, which even with the fact we jackoboarded most of the room....its still giving me cause for concern. As I can see wet patches and mould forming on the grout already just a few weeks in.

As part of the bathroom fit, the spark did install a 4" Mentis, Axial type extractor fan in there (pictured). Though doing a bit of research online i'm thinking that this may be the problem as the fan looks quite weak. It has an extraction rate of 73 m3 per hour....and the ducting it's venting through is about 2.5m long...obviously with a right angle bend in it too.... which i've read could well be too long for this fan too?

Anyway long story short, i'm looking at swapping it out for something much more powerful, ideally without having to change the 4" ducting to 6". In-line types not an option as there's no access to the ceiling cavity without making a big hole everytime it hypothetically breaks down.... so i'm guessing from my basic research online that my best bet is to go centrifugal, or mixed type. Either something like the Vent-axia Lo Carbon Quadra/ Vent-axia lo carbon revive, or Airflow Icon60? all seem to have an extraction rate of 220 m3 per hour, so three times as powerful as what i've got now, so hopefully would solve this issue.

Love to get some input on this, am I on the right lines to solving this? are there other things I should be considering too? and has anyone used any of the models above and can comment on their experience? they're all quite expensive so would like to get it right!

pictures below for reference.

extractor_fan_pos.jpgIMG-0909.JPGIMG-0912.JPGIMG-0911.JPG

So why don’t you get the installer back. Cut a new hole in the ceiling and use the duct in place?

Sounds like the installer hasn’t done many bathrooms

I can get the installer back, but I'm not sure I follow what you mean?

Apologies if ive been unclear, red is what's already there, ducting and fan. My initial idea was to simply swap out the red x marked fan for something much stronger. Till I saw the responses on this thread about moving the position of the fan.

If you mean cut a hole somewhere else, where do you mean?

Interesting, I cant say i've seen any centrifugal type ones yet that have bigger ducting than 4"....

Plenty of axial types but they're generally less powerful arent they? Icon60 by Airflow was the biggest axial / hybrid type I saw and that was 6" but it got lots of awful reviews. So thought a 4" vent-axia centrifugal might be enough, based on the flow rates they advertise they look pretty powerful to be fair, over three times the extraction im getting currently. Louder ofcourse as the trade-off, but that's not an issue really.

says it'll do 60l per second, vs my current one which does about 19.

That would give you an air change in roughly 10-12 minutes

Inline ones are always best

That would give you an air change in roughly 10-12 minutes

Inline ones are always best

i know, it's just that where the inline one would go, would not be accessible with it being a ground floor bathroom. So not sure I can be arsed with the faff of cutting a hole in the ceiling everytime it needs to come down.

I suppose an alternative would be to do a sort of loft hatch instead..... But even then the rate of extraction isn't heaps beyond 220 M3 per hour.

Not sure it's worth it. as a first port of call anyway!

i know, it's just that where the inline one would go, would not be accessible with it being a ground floor bathroom. So not sure I can be arsed with the faff of cutting a hole in the ceiling everytime it needs to come down.

I suppose an alternative would be to do a sort of loft hatch instead..... But even then the rate of extraction isn't heaps beyond 220 M3 per hour.

just get the installer back to relocate the fan to above the shower and use the existing ducting!

I would move the fan so it’s over the shower 😁
haha, I know, me too... but I dont think it's an option. Let me do another diagram.

Black lines are the joists,
Blue is proposed position of fan over shower and ducting from shower to external
green is soil pipe that cant be moved because of an RSJ.
red is current extractor and current ducting

extractor_over_shower.jpg

Last edited:
haha, I know, me too... but I dont think it's an option. Let me do another diagram.

Black lines are the joists,
Blue is proposed position of fan over shower and ducting from shower to external
green is soil pipe that cant be moved because of an RSJ.
red is current extractor and current ducting

How could he get the current ducting from where it is to the shower if the joists run front to back?

I thought you said the red lines were marking where the vent runs ????????

810m3/h

You were reading the lps movement :)

Reply to Condensation In Bathroom With No Window - Best Extractor Solution? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock