Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Complete system redo or... just upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

MaksimsK

Gas Engineer
Hi gents/lads

I have a massive question for you and i really struggle to find an answer and I need your opinion. Never done complete installs, only like for like, nether underfloor heating so I lack of experience on this side.

I’m planning to move to another house, but few things are not quite in place as I wanted. And the system is a bit old. I'm really not sure is it in my budget to make it as I want, or worth to lower expectations and do some, but not all of the works.

1st floor: kitchen, dinner area, lounge and garage (boiler is there)
2nd floor: 4 bedrooms, cylinder in cupboard
loft: FE tank

Kitchen is small so that plan is to connect it with dinner area and add 1/2 of the garage as cold storage with access from kitchen. So 2/3 of the 1st floor will be affected by refurb. Another part of the garage to be converted to small office. So the boiler from garage should be moved to the loft.

2nd floor. Empty the cupboard by moving cylinder in to the loft and upgrade it to unvented. Also bathroom need retiling and all 2nd floor carpets replaced for wooden floor.

That leaves me with 3 options and I will start with, in my opinion will be most expensive and again, in my opinion, most optimal for me.

1. unvented cylinder + system boiler on loft. Get rid of the copper as much as possible, replace it for plastic, install underfloor heating with 2-3 zones on 1st floor and each room controlled separately on 2nd (5 zones).

2. unvented cylinder + system boiler on loft. Get rid of the copper as much as possible and replace it for plastic, but just resize rads and replace them all. Some of the rads just looks small for the size of the room.

3. Or the Combi on the loft will be just fine.

1st floor: kitchen tap + new build toilet + sink
2nd floor: 1 bath + 1 sink
All of that for 2 kids and 3 adults.

Im not asking for the accurate price tag. But just give me an idea of how much it can cost to me.

Thanks

2 if you just have the budget

3 if your willing to wait a bit eg save up some more

maybe as @Uheat – Jake for a price for the under floor to give you an idea

What do you plan on doing with the house?

I have loads of people say I want to do this and that to the house as they watch all the programs and think this is what they have to do to sell the house.

If you plan on staying for the foreseeable future then do everything to the best standard and how you want it.

If you plan on selling see what you can get for your property and what you could if you do the work you wish to do. No point spending 20k over the next 5 years if it will only put 21k on the property. I see loads of usually young people saying I'm going to do this and that then sell and they dont look that in my local town certain areas the price doesnt go above 250k and once they bought the house spent the money they want to have what's done they will be above that.

As it's your house do it in copper it costs less than plastic and looks neater. Yes it may take longer to do but if it's your house no rush to get it right.

What do you plan on doing with the house?

I have loads of people say I want to do this and that to the house as they watch all the programs and think this is what they have to do to sell the house.

If you plan on staying for the foreseeable future then do everything to the best standard and how you want it.

If you plan on selling see what you can get for your property and what you could if you do the work you wish to do. No point spending 20k over the next 5 years if it will only put 21k on the property. I see loads of usually young people saying I'm going to do this and that then sell and they dont look that in my local town certain areas the price doesnt go above 250k and once they bought the house spent the money they want to have what's done they will be above that.

As it's your house do it in copper it costs less than plastic and looks neater. Yes it may take longer to do but if it's your house no rush to get it right.
Thats my plan, to stay there for at least 10-15-20 years.
I never installed underfloor heating so i thought:
- it will save the space loosing the rads
- give me a better control on heating difrent zones using manifold and more even room heating than rads
- and i thought plastic will be preferable than copper in long run?

Reply to Complete system redo or... just upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock