Currently reading:
Competent Persons Schemes

Discuss Competent Persons Schemes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pipedream

Evening all,

Just wondered how many of you are members of a Competent Persons Scheme, (other than for Gas). and if so what has your experience been like. I have been a member of the CORGI plumbing CPS for a few years and it has gone through some difficult times I am starting to look at alternatives and would welcome any advice.

Ta

I'm not sure that any of them are worth bothering with.
You pay money to display a logo but whether it gives you any advantage is debatable IMO.

The thing is as many seem to be finding out, are some advertising gimmicks or not? Who is deciding who is a good Plumber and who isn't and how are they deciding?

I joined the CORGI CPS as it had a high level of brand awareness and it allowed me to do my own Building Control Notifications. I have found this and the six year warranty has helped in getting some of the bigger jobs. I am not sure how many in the trade use a CPS to notify work - I know that there is a lot of evidence of under notification.

I do wonder if it is worth the cost and hassle.

Anyone who is a CPS member any views on the different schemes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry Bernie but I did not read your post properly. All of the CPS schemes require you to have all of the relevant qualifications, insurance etc and you have to have an annual inspection. I know this does not make you a good plumber, but a lot of the rate a trader type schemes let you join on payment of a fee, with no checks on your qualifications etc. It then seems that you are judged on the views of your customers - are they any better a judge of whether you are a good plumber ?

Oh and I forgot all of the CPS schemes are regulated by the Govt - I know so are the banks and look at the mess they got us into !,

i think the question is really are there any reconised and understood by joe public??

there are still many people that dont know that gas safe has taken over from corgi and gas safe has probably the biggest budget available for brand awareness. It would take alot of money to get to the stage that joe public would use the information that your a member of a CPS to the degree it would be an advantage to the tradesman.

I am all for the idea of only proven competent persons being able to trade in a varity of trades. I cant see it ever working. After all gas safe trys to do for the gas industry you can still go and buy a gas fire fitting kit from the shed etc..... Money makes the world go around im afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Competent Persons Schemes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock