Discuss Commercial property domestic boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all
been to look at a boiler today combi serving 7 rads in offices and sink, the boiler is a glowworm 38cxi, it is leaking from everywhere when I said where's the meter it is all fed from the steel pipe work that runs to the ovens, it's a bakery. I had a look at it think it needs replacing I told them I can't touch it as it doesn't have a seperate meter so I can't tightness test or gas rate etc. I advised to either get a separate meter installed if this is possible and then I could do the work if I checked was ok with gas safe or ring a commercial firm up to do it. Am I right?

i tried to get advise on this and had mixed results the steel pipework where i was had an isolator valve and testpoint and i was told i could just soundness test my pipework and connect to the point but there is no way of gas rating .a secondry meter would be a good idea any commercial guys got any thoughts on this ?

I don't want to turn any work down but also don't want to cross any lines.

i phoned gas safe twice and got different answers so just listened to the one i wanted to hear - i did the job of mine which is same as you have got to do but still not sure if i did right or wrong.

as i understand it, if you can isolate the section of pipework you are working on down to within domestic sizes youre okay,
but it does demonstrate a hole in the regs because gas rating on a commercial meter is different to a domestic one

as i understand it, if you can isolate the section of pipework you are working on down to within domestic sizes youre okay,
but it does demonstrate a hole in the regs because gas rating on a commercial meter is different to a domestic one
thats what i was told .

So if I did a boiler swap how would I go about the usual normal domestic procedure?

the problem with calling gsr is you always get someone really patronizing and condencending, the quality of the information doesnt seem that good and the way they insist on taking your gas safe registration makes you feel like theyre making a file on you, if you have to call them more than 3 times in a year you'll get an inspection

when i have to ring up i always give whn1 gas safe number

oooooooooo that's an awkward one!

What size pipework / total volume?

To be honest I would have viewed it as a commercial installation despite the boiler being a domestic one.

Mate no idea it's running these massive ovens baking biscuits and cakes and it goes to smaller steel then 22mm copper in the boiler area, I think I'll leave it but wanted some opinions as its work, typical really but don't think me public liability would cover 100000000 custard creams. Cheers croppie

The Steel pipe don't make no difference , the answer is what meter is in

The meter was behind some exterior doors like a maintenance room at a school, it would of been a beast but they couldn't find the key so I said either get a second meter put in or get a com firm out.

But whilst we're on the subject I went to a Chinese restaurant to look at a plumbing job they just had a normal domestic meter but had massive burner hobs for torching all the fast food is this classed as commercial? 28mm pipe work. I have range cookers is that the same?

Where do you live? They might have rang this firm in, they said they'd tried them first but they couldn't get to look til Monday so rang muggins up.

But whilst we're on the subject I went to a Chinese restaurant to look at a plumbing job they just had a normal domestic meter but had massive burner hobs for torching all the fast food is this classed as commercial? 28mm pipe work. I have range cookers is that the same?
how many hobs, are we talking combined over 60kw, that not going to work on a u6 meter

thats a thanks but no thanks run away job

Didn't check mate it just stuck in my mind and never asked any ones opinion yeah those run like mad jobs are becoming a regular occurrence for me either tosser customers or jobs I'm not 100% on.

Regardless of meter I would say that you need Comcat for this one. Range cookers is not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Commercial property domestic boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

If a domestic boiler/gas appliance is in a commercial property, does this mean a gas engineer would need commercial tickets/qualifications?
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
Hi We are a commercial premises Have been using the same plumber for years and very happy with his work but recently came to light he has a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock