Search the forum,

Discuss combination cylinder - poor hot pressure. New thermal storage cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott2hot

A customer of mine has asked me to solve her poor hot water pressure. She has a direct combination cylinder. I've advised her that there is no easy/cheap way to do this. I've suggested fitting a direct combination thermal storage cylinder but after seeing the prices of these - best part of £1000 i'm not sure she'll be willing to pay this much. Is there a cheaper alternative? I don't think she's too keen on a unvented system due to the annual serviceing etc. Secondly how long should one of these take to fit - I've not come across one yet?

Many thanks

fit a tank high/higher in the loft??

a thermal store or unvented could only be fitted if the cold main was suitable really, what was the cold main like? pressure and flow?

well with a thermal store the hot pressure will be the same as the cold. I like them but you never really see much of them around. but like you say they are not cheap.

Is it in a flat or a house? Usually combination cylinders are in flats due to space or lack of.

Nothing much you can do unless the combination cylinder has the large cold tank.
If it's the usual small one then you are burgered.

Unfortunately it's a dormer style house, there's no attic space for the usual CWSC and Hot Cylinder. What's the minimum pressure and flow needed for a thermal store? - surely the hot pressure would be the same as the cold. Thanks

it depends on the cylinder manufacture but normally you need 1.5bar dynamic pressure and 20ltr per min as a min. could you not fit an combi boiler?

Can't you get a small tank in cupboard above a standard cylinder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I never realised there was a minimum pressure for a thermal store?

Yes with a thermal store the pressure is the same hot and cold.

there would be no point fitting a thermal store or unvented cylinder without a good cold water performance, with 20lpm you can assume you may get 10lpm on the hot and the same on the cold when they are both run which is not great.

Last edited:
Seems there is some confusion here.
The thermal store is not pressurised, it only transfers heat from a large bulk of very hot water into a coil containing water at mains pressure.
The cold is also at mains pressure.

At the end of the day I doubt that the customer would consider the expense of such a system.

Thanks for all your replies, i'll have to check out her mains pressure and flow rate. Fitting a combi is not really an option, there's no gas in her village so oil would be the only solution - even more expensive than a thermal storage cylinder. If there is room in her limited loft would it be cheaper to fit a CWSC and hot cylinder complete with a pump?

Bit of a left field solution, how a bout a LPG fired multi-point water heater (or combi and heating system if funds allow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to combination cylinder - poor hot pressure. New thermal storage cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably because of the set-up) but last year got so feeble that a guy suggested fitting a pump alongside the cylinder. This can work fine but then all of a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock