Search the forum,

Discuss Combimate help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whitedog1

Hi there, I am replacing an elderly oil fired combi boiler and the plumber has said that I need a Combimate to protect the hot water plate heat exchanger to go with it but they are about £180!
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative please. I see Fernox do a lime scale reducer for about £40.
Can anyone helpplease?

I think they work in different ways. Is there a reason you need it?
Are you in an area where there is a problem with limescale ?

I take it you will be getting a different plumber to fit it then as your going against his professional advice?

A Combi mate contains silfoss balls which help neutralize the calcium in the the mains cold water when this water is heated it stops limescale sticking to surfaces of metal parts and glass so helps protect your combi boiler, the fernox one is electrolytic and as you say is a limescale reducer which works by changing the molecular structure of the hard water you still get limescale but it should not stick so much each has its uses choice is yours but go with one of them

Surely the cost of £180 on an oil combi swap isn't going to make a massive difference ?

A call out and either a clean or replace plate hex will cost that anyway in a few years time...

:hand::hand::nono::nono::nono::nono: hand.gif
ask if he can do the job for £100 cheaper cash. sorted!

Tut tut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combimate help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, New here & my first post! I have a Worcester greenstar 24i, it is a conventional boiler, it has a water tank upstairs. For the past year the hot water when turned on was intermittent. I repressurised the expansion vessel to 1 bar and the hot water switch when turned on worked...
Replies
Views
Please help Our Grant Vortex Pro oil combi boiler seems to have developed a drip from some sort of valve where it looks like there's a limescale build up. There is no water at all from hot tap and no pressure in the boiler. The heating works fine however. Is there something I can do or should...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock