Search the forum,

Discuss Combi conversion from vented gravity system - wall of text and questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarrenThomas

TL;DR version

Getting new combi to replace vented conventional system
Q 1) thoughts and opinions of weather compensating programmers?
Q 2) Most of my CH pipe is 15mm will a chunk of this need to be replaced with 22mm?
Q 3) Condensing boilers need a return of 55c or under to be most efficient. Is my understanding correct?
Q 4) Do you guys take cards? We are paying with a 0% card so anyone who couldn't wouldn;t get a shot at the job. Does it hinder you on bigger jobs if you don't take them?
Q 5 ) What should the DHW temp be set to on the boiler? Can you run at 48 ish and mix with less cold or should you run it nearer 60?

----------------------------------------------------------

Long version.

I've finally decided that it is time to replace the existing Potterton Suprima 60 in my 3 bed semi along with most of the rads with it, 2 have already been swapped out during refurbs of the rooms. All others are very old as far as I can see, with at least 2 coats of gloss on all (they were glossed salmon pink when we moved in 3 years ago and we HAD to do something), and no fins on any of them.

The boiler lives in the kitchen and is supplied with a 15mm gas feed which is buried in the wall (concrete floors). From this run 2 22m pipes which go into the airing cupboard in the room above which then feed the cylinder and heating loops. The cylinder is IIRC a 114l unit, with a 50G cold tank in the loft directly above.

Sadly I'm at work for the next 7 days so I shan't have a chance for a man with a plan to come in and talk to me until Wednesday. In the meantime I'm dreaming up all manner of questions.

I'm heading toward a Vaillant boiler, the 4 gas men I've spoken to about various bits in the last 18 months have all harped on about Vaillant so I figure a consensus is always a good starting point.

So my questions

1) I have been looking at a weather compensating set of wireless controls, the price delta between those and the standard wireless controls is only £50 so if they only save me 5% (instead of the quoted 20%) then that's still going to pay itself off. How do you find them? I've been searching around and it seems they are standard in a few European countries. My dad had the Vaillant 392f wireless controls fitted last Christmas despite being told that they were "quite complicated" and has had no issues at all using them.

2) The current 22mm pipes from the boiler go up into the airing cupboard where they go into two valves and the pump. One valve feeds the cylinder and the other the rads. However it's somewhere close to there that the 22mm pipe ends. All the tails are 15mm, and all the pipework on the landing which is next to the cupboard is also all 15mm. This pipework then feeds the front 2 bedrooms as well as the downstairs hall rad and hopefully a new rad to be put in the living room which currently has no heat in it. The entire downstairs of the house is heated by one 700x1100 (ish) double panel no fins rad in the dining room next to the huge patio doors, and one 600x1600 single no fins in the hall!

Am I going to need 22mm run to replace that 15mm?

It shouldn't be too much of an issue to do as the floor on the landing and back bedroom (above boiler and also the room with the cupboard) is all easy to get up. It's just that the 15mm feed that goes to the hall rad downstairs goes under the office carpet which was only put down a few weeks ago.

3) Am I correct in understanding that condensing boilers are most efficient when the return is less than 55C? The gumpf from some of the WC programmers suggests that the savings they claim are based around keeping the boiler at it's most efficient for longer in turn meaning rads will be warm but not hot but maintaining a more even temp.

4) Payment. The only way we can do this is to put it on to a 0% card. I asked the bank for the money and was told that they would happily give it to me after they did a revaluation on the house (£200), paid a product fee (£300) and then paid the 5.5% interest rate. Hardly worth it when compared to the card that we can pay off only only have the 2.8% balance transfer charge to pay on top.

The problem is that not many guys take cards, larger groups do like Smith & Byford but the guy who did one of my rads and some bits for my brother, who is a nice guy and works well doesn't take it. He'd probably be cheaper and let me help out with removing the old kit and nailing the new rads up too but we have no other way of paying.

Do you plumbers find that causes you problems or have you got ways of taking cards even if you typically only take transfers/cash/cheque?

5) I think that's it for now. I know the guys that come to quote will no doubt answer them all, but I like to go into these things with a little idea of what kind of things are good or bad answers.

EDIT: one more thing but it should probably be in the plumbing forum. With my bathroom refurb we fitted a Trevi Boost which suited our circumstances. I read that Trevi do a kit to convert to a Therm but can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't normally take cards but can do through my PayPal account if the customer is happy to cover the fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for that Mike, my man has also figured out the same thing so he just needs to find out what the fees are for when he does his quote.

Seems a lot of people are reading but not replying, I wonder if my wall of text is putting people off.

Another question popped up today while talking with my dad. He had a Vaillant 831 fitted in December and has been very happy with it. He mentioned though that his hot water temp is set to 58C. My question to him was why? I know it shouldn't be more than 60, and I know that legionella is an issue in stored water, but from a combi could you not run the hot water at a temp closer to what you actually need?

Because I'm trying to educate myself about what is going on, or because it seems complicated?

most of this stuff you need to discuss with the installer really
i don't see a problem with your interest in whats going on as long as its all done before the job is started!
you can set your hot water to whatever temp the boiler allows as it is instantaneous
and there is no risk of legionellae

Because I'm trying to educate myself about what is going on, or because it seems complicated?

lol, its because he wouldnt be able to cut corners. Ive always liked a customer that takes an interest. Last job I did for a keen customer we installed a bathroom and he wasnt happy that his GROHE ibox wasnt giving him the specified 28 litres a minute through his bath filler. So he complained and got one of there service team out to have a look at our work lol. We had already told him that his unvented should be 22mm fed not 15 and his incoming mains wasnt helping just what the grohe man said :) like a challenging customer though

lol, its because he wouldnt be able to cut corners. Ive always liked a customer that takes an interest. Last job I did for a keen customer we installed a bathroom and he wasnt happy that his GROHE ibox wasnt giving him the specified 28 litres a minute through his bath filler. So he complained and got one of there service team out to have a look at our work lol. We had already told him that his unvented should be 22mm fed not 15 and his incoming mains wasnt helping just what the grohe man said :) like a challenging customer though

I suspected but I didn't want to assume!

For the reasons you state I try and find out what I can. I don't want the guy to be half way through a job and then me remember something or him go "oh, what about xyz". I want as much info from the guys giving the quotes as I can and I want them to ask me as many questions as they can to ensure I get exactly what I need.

EG, I don't want to have it all done and then complain that with the hot tap fully open in the bath the water is only luke warm when the reason is that my cold flow is too fast and the xkw boiler I just had installed can only warm up y liters of water at that rate to z temperature.

Some people on here say the guy should do tests on the water pressure and flow rate. But I had no idea about that. What if the guy quoting doesn't do that? Is he assuming that it'll be fine and I'm lumbered with something that doesn't work? Does it not need doing in my circumstances because of abc? It's this kind of stuff I like to try and find out about, and forums like this are one of the best sources for that info because they are manned by the guys that are out there doing it, the good and the bad.

One of the guys coming to quote did my parents one but they never got a filter fitted. Now I don't know if the guy never suggested one, if they don't need one or if my parents said no or just didn't ask. But I know through looking on here that it would be prudent to ask about something that will help look after the new boiler.

Where are you based or did I miss that bit?

Ahh I forgot that bit, Coulsdon, in Croydon. Just inside the south of the M25.

Know it well. Was fitting a new combi boiler in Warlingham yesterday.

Could pop buy one day if that suits?

Certainly welcome to come and have a look and quote :) As I said before, you'll have to be able to accept a card in some way though otherwise we can't pay!

I'll drop you a PM.

If I am grasping some basics right, radiator outputs vary depending on the temperature difference between the water in the rad and the air in the room. The higher the difference the higher the heat output of the rad.

So, for example (using the info in this pdf) a Stelrad Softline 600x800 K2 with a 50c delta will output 1386w. At 40c delta it will be 1037w and at 30c it will be 714w.

So, if you planned on running with a 80c flow and 69c return, and the room was say 20c, that radiator would be putting out a fair deal of heat. However with a condensing boiler you want a return of 55c or lower, assuming the same 20c room temp then that same rad is now only shifting 860w ish.

So, if the room in question lost 1000w your choices for that particular radiator would be to a) run at a 40ish delta or b) increase size of rad to that the delta can be kept lower but still heat the room.

Did I get that right?

If so, does that mean on a condensing boiler the way to keep it most efficient is to have rads sized to run at say 35C delta rather than 50?

Correct and it is this principle that weather comp works on, when cold and more heat is requires the flow temp increases to match this increase in load.

Another one.

For the condensate pipe I understand connecting to internal waste is preferred to prevent freezing.

Does condensate pipe have to be rigid or is there some kind of flexible alternative like a washing machine waste?

Also does the run from boiler to waste have to be continual drop? It couldn't run along the floor and up to said waste?

Just looking at where this is going to go and where the existing cupboards are. Even pulled the sink cupboard out to get a better look!

some boilers it comes out in flexible tubing but i would check with the manufactures on that one, if you pipe out side i normally upgrade the pipe to 32mm to help prevent freezing

you can set your hot water to whatever temp the boiler allows as it is instantaneous
and there is no risk of legionellae

That is so wrong, there is legionella risk with water that is not heated above 50 degrees. There is less risk from water that is not stored at less than 50 but on long pipe runs there will be water laying at an ideal breeding temperature for bacteria. A higher temperature will sterilise the pipe each time it is used.

Ok maybe that's not 100% accurate but at 50 they can survive but do not multiply 66 degrees it takes 2 min to kill legionella. i suppose saying no risk was wrong but i would not be concerned about it with a combi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi conversion from vented gravity system - wall of text and questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock