Discuss combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If you truly have a 1 pipe system then you should have bypasses on every single radiator. The reason for this is so if you turn 1 radiator off it does not turn the other radiators off as well.

I could be wrong on this as I've never piped up a 1 pipe system, I have worked on a fair few and ripped loads out but this was my understanding.

The older boys on here would be the better ones to answer your question.
Your right, should be one single pipe loop with branches off the each radiator. If you pipe in and out of each rad it would be very unbalanced and closing one rad off would cripple the system

I'm not an older boy though, I'm only 31, maybe that is old :(

Can I jump in here rather than starting a new thread about the same thing? We were about to start getting quotes for a new combi (just moved into a house with a 10 yr old Vokera) and it's now packed up on us. Heat exchanger is bust so we're topping it up every 3 hrs.
Anyway. Quotes and boilers. Current one is on inside garage wall with the flue (with no supports) is running across the ceiling to the outside wall and gas pipe doing the same. Condensate pipe runs around the base of garage to outside where it just drips (persistantly ATM) onto the block paving. Flue is corroded externally. Amazing to think it has a Building reg cert and we were given a gas safety certificate before we bought the house.
So quotes to fit a new boiler, flu, magnetic filter ,flush etc and relocate boiler onto the outside garage wall and rectify condensate pipe .

This quote also includes removing a funny bit of bypass pipework under the bathroom rad' Radiator upstairs, where we only seem to have a 1 pipe system and a new wireless thermostat. Originally there was a back boiler in the house.

Baxi/main eco 30kw
£1778
5 years warranty

Potterton titanium 28kw
£1898
7 years warranty

Baxi platinum
£2300
10 years warranty

2nd quote includes all above the above except removing the bypass pipe under the bathroom radiator and the new wireless therm'

Ideal Logic Plus 30 with 10 year manufacturers
warranty £2,586
-Vaillant 832 with 10 year warranty additional £250
-Ideal Vogue c32, 12 Year warranty additional £230

Any thoughts please?
Your old controls are unlikely to be boiler plus

Is it compatible with Main and Potterton?
It's compatible with these boilers

Screenshot_20190420-144457.png

Sorry couldn't be bother to read the entire thread but here is my opinion on a new boiler, if you are staying put-

Longest guarantee for the cheapest price.

Unless it's a vokera.

If you truly have a 1 pipe system then you should have bypasses on every single radiator. The reason for this is so if you turn 1 radiator off it does not turn the other radiators off as well.

I could be wrong on this as I've never piped up a 1 pipe system, I have worked on a fair few and ripped loads out but this was my understanding.

The older boys on here would be the better ones to answer your question.

Got it. That's how I envisaged the pipework would be.

It’s probably been part upgraded in the past
Yes, probably when they removed the backboiler and installed the combi. All the rad's (apart from that one) look have new (er) copper pipework (that's visible anyway)

Your right, should be one single pipe loop with branches off the each radiator. If you pipe in and out of each rad it would be very unbalanced and closing one rad off would cripple the system

I'm not an older boy though, I'm only 31, maybe that is old :(
Makes sense and no, 31 isn't old,especially when you're the wrong side of 50

Your old controls are unlikely to be boiler plus

Boiler plus?
Need a new flue anyway as it's coroded on the underside externally

Sorry couldn't be bother to read the entire thread but here is my opinion on a new boiler, if you are staying put-

Longest guarantee for the cheapest price.

Unless it's a vokera.

We're going for the Potterton. Her for 5-10 years, but you know "the best laid plans"

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Just an update. It's a 2 pipe to the kitchen and dining room radiator , and then 1 pipe from then on. What a mess. Also brass connectors on the underfloor gas pipe's to the hob and the gas fire (as was).
New boiler works well and he's done a very neat job. Even polished the copper pipes!
It's taking the radiators upstairs about 15 minutes to get somewhere between very warm and hot whereas you could cook bacon on the downstairs ones after about 7 minutes. This is an improvement from before but suppose the flush will have helped.
With a 2 pipe system, what should the difference be? We've had one in other houses but never really taken that much notice , plus the houses were about half the size.
Once we get the kitchen replaced the gas pipe to hob can be removed.
Seriously thinking about a re pipe. He's suggested ?microbore to the radiators. Piping in the wall and exiting behind the radiator.
We had this in our last house which was built in the late 90's and I liked it from a visual point of view as no nasty looking visible pipes.
Is it a good idea?
Quote is £1500, including TRV's to 6 radiators .

Personally steer clear of microbore. I get its usefulness and ease of routing but its a much better job to run 15mm (off of 22mm feeds) to the rads.

Less likely to block (I know you have just had it flushed but in time it's inevitable the system health maintenance will be skipped and you'll end up with sludge build up)

Id get a quote for 15mm/22mm pipework and see what the difference is. If you can stretch for the 15/22 then do it.

If you can only stretch to the microbore then it'll generally still be a big improvement on a one pipe system.

Especially as the flushing of the system with one pipe system present causes difficulties in getting a thorough clean (unless every rad on the one pipe circuit was removed and flushed through manually).

Reply to combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock