Discuss combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I would double check with the installer on what they are doing and what they are supplying. The reason I say that is £2300 for a platinum and moving it and sorting out a 1 pipe system upstairs is really cheap. I would be looking for around that just to move it with a filter and clock etc.

Also why are you moving the boiler? How much longer is this going to make your hot water run? If you have to extend your pipe 5 meters that would be an extra 3/4 of a litre of water every time you want hot water.

I'm a big fan of baxi myself and you can't go wrong with the platinum but as Chris said there is also the 600 which seems a good boiler I've fitted a few and all good so far. I'm not a big fan of vaillant I think they used to be great but I think them like Worcester are living off old reputation. Ideal I wouldn't touch at all, shocking customer service (round me at least) and sometimes trying to get hold of parts has been a pain. But if you ask several installers you will get all sorts of answers.

Thanks again everyone. I think that's clearer re the actual boilers.
Is a SS HE better than aluminium?

Millsy- moving the boiler because it's not on an outside wall or on the same wall as the gas meter, so gas pipe and flu go across ceiling, PRV pipe (is that correct?) and Condensate pipe go around the bottom of the garage including across /below the step up through the utility room door. As you come out of the utility room into the garage the boiler is right there on the wall. Will only be moving it about 2.4 m.

Neither of the quotes include sorting out the 1 pipe system upstairs.
A guy we had out to sort a leaky rad and replace a TRV explained how the 1 pipe affected the system, but then he realised that there were 2 pipes downstairs and said it might be OK and the first quote RGE said it would be worth putting the new boiler in, removing what he calls " a bypass pipe" from under the rad' in the old airing cupboard (dont' ask) and seeing how it goes with the rad's properly balance etc?
Would a photo of said pipe help?

Why have they installed the system on one pipe upstairs if that's not right? I think I understand that the old back boiler would have been a 1 pipe system, or is that not correct?
If it's not right and it should be 2 pipe, then how could whoever did it issue a Building reg's cert' or does that not cover pipework?

Also things like the flu isn't supported and the condensate pipe isn't going into a drain and looks as though it might be going uphill?

Apologies for all the questions.

This is the full quote for first RGE

Relocate boiler
Alter hot/cold/ heating flow and return
Alter gas pipe, pressure release and condensate pipe

Alter any electrical points needed
Full system power flush with system cleaner and inhibitors

Remove bypass pipe underneath rad in bathroom

Fit magnetic filtration to heating

Keep original (if you like the current one) or replace new wireless thermostat

Boiler and any materials needed supply and fit

I'd like a pic of this apparent bypass pipe. It may be the last radiator on the circuit before it loops back to the boiler, in which case isn't a bypass.

uck , thats the bypass rad which is there if all the trvs close down. awfull pipework so ugly
like my wifes ...chk

Ok, so if all the TRV's (we only have 3!) close down the hot water will just circulate through his radiator. Yes ugly, but it's in the old airing cupboard so out of sight. I don't know why they put a radiator in there.Well I do as it's useful, but not the normal thing to do.There's a radiator in the bathroom too. I knew that you always had one radiator without a TRV and it's usually in the bathroom, but do you always have all that pipework like that,or is it usually under the floor?

Please could someone explain the set up with a double pipe downstairs ( well, at least there are 2 under the DR radiator) and 1 up? Is the 1 pipe just coming off the flow pipe of the 2 and then going round upstairs radiators and back onto the return pipe of the 2?

To be honest it's the first I'm hearing of one, two pipes down one pipe up

I've come across 1 pipe and traditional systems.

Just can't see what you'd gain from having that so called 'bypass' on a rad with two lockshields

Judging the condition of that pipework looks like a system re pipe would be a safer option

"Just can't see what you'd gain from having that so called 'bypass' on a rad with two lockshields"
Can you explain what you mean (in laymans terms") please Coby? Trying to educate myself-lol

If you truly have a 1 pipe system then you should have bypasses on every single radiator. The reason for this is so if you turn 1 radiator off it does not turn the other radiators off as well.

I could be wrong on this as I've never piped up a 1 pipe system, I have worked on a fair few and ripped loads out but this was my understanding.

The older boys on here would be the better ones to answer your question.

Reply to combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock