Discuss combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Can I jump in here rather than starting a new thread about the same thing? We were about to start getting quotes for a new combi (just moved into a house with a 10 yr old Vokera) and it's now packed up on us. Heat exchanger is bust so we're topping it up every 3 hrs.
Anyway. Quotes and boilers. Current one is on inside garage wall with the flue (with no supports) is running across the ceiling to the outside wall and gas pipe doing the same. Condensate pipe runs around the base of garage to outside where it just drips (persistantly ATM) onto the block paving. Flue is corroded externally. Amazing to think it has a Building reg cert and we were given a gas safety certificate before we bought the house.
So quotes to fit a new boiler, flu, magnetic filter ,flush etc and relocate boiler onto the outside garage wall and rectify condensate pipe .

This quote also includes removing a funny bit of bypass pipework under the bathroom rad' Radiator upstairs, where we only seem to have a 1 pipe system and a new wireless thermostat. Originally there was a back boiler in the house.

Baxi/main eco 30kw
£1778
5 years warranty

Potterton titanium 28kw
£1898
7 years warranty

Baxi platinum
£2300
10 years warranty

2nd quote includes all above the above except removing the bypass pipe under the bathroom radiator and the new wireless therm'

Ideal Logic Plus 30 with 10 year manufacturers
warranty £2,586
-Vaillant 832 with 10 year warranty additional £250
-Ideal Vogue c32, 12 Year warranty additional £230

Any thoughts please?

Are you planning on staying a while ?

You really need to expand. You have a golden opportunity to future proof your home.
So tell us loads of things...
1. how many bathrooms
2. how many bedrooms
3. how many showers
4. how many baths

do you have or want to have

The lifestyle of your gaff...is there someone there all day, or are you all working ..do you want to be green or do not care

are you on the gas main or on lpg kerosene etc.

what sort of house old, 60's or
modern

then you will get some answers

centralheatking

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Gas mains
Yes, someone here a lot and she's a cold fish.
Can't afford anything green like air source HP or solar but efifciency is important as lady of the house is retired so we have to look after the ££.
House is 1960's 3 bed semi, but it's the floorplan of the detached homes (think gable end facing the street style)so approx' 1100 sq ft. At the moment we have 4 rad's downstairs (hall, LR. DR,Kit) and plan to put one in the Utility once it's been insulated.
Only 1 bathroom which has an elec' shower. No bath. Toilet is sep' ATM.Plan on a bath (which we will v rarely use) and mains shower, plus poss' making the current loo into an en suite shower (elec' would do).
No cav' wall ins' but just upgraded loft insulation to 300 mm when we had new roof. New UPVC DG windows few weeks ago.

Apparently we have 2 pipes downstairs but only 1 up, but a double pipe under the rad' in the airing cupboard.
System seems unbalance as rad's downstairs get very hot very quickly, but often ones upstairs are barely warm but maybe that's because there's been a problem with the pressure.

It all comes down to what you want to pay. Personally I would avoid ideal, not that they're a bad boiler but there's alot of plastic inside them.
If your wanting to pay less then go with baxi, all brass components, quiet operation. You haven't mentioned been quoted for the 600 series, its not as expensive as the platinum and you get a 7 year warranty with it. Depending on required flow, the 630 or 635 would be ideal.
If your willing to pay that little extra then you won't go wrong with the vaillant 832, you won't find many installers who wouldn't recommend a vaillant.

Thanks Craig. So would it be fair to say that the 2nd quote has higher labour costs? We had a Baxi eco tec 28 in our last house but we were only there for 2 years. It was quite noisy, but not bothered about that in this case with boiler being in the garage. What's the difference between the Baxi main/eco and the Platinum? Is it just the warranty period? Assume that as nobody's mentioned the Potterton Titanium not worth discussing? Are Potterton part of Baxi? Obviously we would prefer not to pay £2800 for the Vaillant. Have a lot of other things to do like new kitchen (retro 1970-'80's Shcreiber with a Bosch Backwagen oven!) and bathrooms ,plastering etc etc.

I can't say what the differnece is in price between the quotes, you'd need to ask for a full breakdown to find that out.
The baxi/main eco is a different boiler to the platinum. Main is part of baxi but has a different range of boilers. The platinum is the same as the baxi duo tec only it has the 10 year guarantee instead of 7.
The 600 series is baxis newest range of boilers, more compact than the duo tec/platinum but shares most of the same components and is cheaper.
As far as im aware the poterton titanium is practically the same boiler as the duo tec only with a different badge.

Most boilers now will either have a stainless steel or aluminium heat ex. The duo tec/ platinum, 600 series and the poterton have stainless steel heat ex's

Reply to combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock