Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Combi boiler into existing wood burner system in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

C

Christopher644

My parents house has a wood burning stove that is also connected to the central heating ( they have radiators and used to have an old boiler which they took out and replaced with the wood burner ) so the wood burner can also heat water which can then be pumped round the rads and works fine when kept stoked up. But ideally would like a combi boiler that can be used normally for the central heating so it could be put on a timer etc.
Would this be possible to install a conventional combi boiler into this system and how would be the best way of doing it?
Thanks.

Would be with a thermal store in place of hot water cylinder.
I recommend you do some research in that direction.
Also could look at plate to plate heat exchanger.
Either way you'll need to separate the two heating circuits.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah as far as I know it’s a wood stove with a tank on top that has water in it that then can be pumped around the rads once it’s reached a certain temperature so it’s all linked up to the central heating.
So if a combi boiler was installed to heat the rads instead and keep the wood stove as primarily heat just for the room it’s in then we would be looking at this heat exchanger possibly?
Thanks again for the info.

You could prob have two circuits joined by a plate heat exchanger so could use either one as a heat source. In my head you'd keep as is with heating circuit and install HEX to sink heat from combi into rad/hw circuit (think pool heater). In my head you could run both simultaneously as the heat from log fire would in theory hold off boiler.
It's not really something ive seen outside district heating. Usually you'd look at a thermal store.

Reply to Combi boiler into existing wood burner system in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
Hi all great site, I've just moved house and am taking my wood stove boiler with me as it's only a couple of years old, it has 4 outlets on back...
Replies
Views
I think the last discussion was back in 2021. A few questions to guide any discussion. Which are the cheapest to heat over the year, system or...
Replies
Views
Hi All...thx for the help in advance. I have recently installed a wood burner with back boiler heating system. Set up with gravity rad and header...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock