Search the forum,

Discuss College interview tomorrow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baldyb220

Hi all,

Just joined the forum today and have been reading some very interesting and needed posts and threads.
I am going to Cardiff and Vale college tomorrow for an interview with a view to start a plumbing course next year to start in September. I have applied for plumbing skills full time but I think this may be the wrong course. I have no previous skills regarding plumbing so I'm guessing I will have to start from Level 1 then progress to level 2 then Level 3 and also to become fully qualified I need to work and get practical experience on the job? This shouldn't be a problem though as I have a friend who has his own business and has said that he should be able to let me work with him.

I am going to do a full time course where I will be in college for no more than 20 hours a week day times. I have work which is mostly evenings anyway so it's not a problem with regards to an income whilst in college. I know I will be busy and working hard for everything but I'm used to it as I am doing 3 jobs now 2 self employed and the other employed. You don't get anywhere sitting on the sofa lol!

Reason for my post is there are so many courses out there and I just want to know the right progression to become a plumber?

Thanks for reading and help will be greatly appreciated.

Get yourself on the level 2 diploma. Other courses aren't necessarily recognised qualifications. The level two diploma replaced the tech cert and nvq which was the way to be a recognised qualified plumber.

Just be careful not to get rogered!!

I did the tech cert and was told then told by the college they would no longer offer the nvq. Left me with half a qual.

I wouldnt reccomend a full time course, personally as you can do the same as a 1 day a week and not have to live with 30 full time apprentices, harder still 2 nights a week but you can work in the meantime during the day. All 3 styles teach the same basics but in a shorter or longer timescale. a full week with 30 apprentices and youll be practicing any hand to hand combat skills on them after week 3!

Plumbing Level 2

[h=3]Course overview:[/h]This course will suit anyone who wants to train and become a qualified plumber or has completed the Level 1 course to a high standard and wishes to continue their plumbing education.

• Plumbing theory - 12 subject areas
  • Completion of practical portfolio
[h=3]Entry requirements:[/h][h=2]Level 2[/h]You usually need a minimum of four GCSEs at grades D, ideally in Maths and English. Or a Level 1 qualification in a similar subject will count.

[h=3]Teaching and assessment:[/h]
  • Practical assignments and online exams
[h=3]Qualifications:[/h]
  • Plumbing Level 2
  • City & Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate Level 2 Performing Engineering Options (PEO) Level 2 NVQ Level 2 if working with a qualified plumber
[h=3]Next steps:[/h]
  • Industry
  • Plumbing - Apprenticeship Plumbing - Level 3

I was having a wee smile to myself reading this thinking how times change.
How the world has turned upside down where it seems people now think you need the training to get the job. I wonder who pushed that theory?

The college will (should) keep you right on your realistic routes of progression.

I think so but check what they want for you to move onto level 3, do you need to be working with a plumber to get onto the course or can you go self em and do it that way, nothing to stop you doing small jobs and ticking the boxes to achieve the end result, even an army wallah can do that:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was having a wee smile to myself reading this thinking how times change.
How the world has turned upside down where it seems people now think you need the training to get the job. I wonder who pushed that theory?

The college will (should) keep you right on your realistic routes of progression.

Colleges are only there to make money.
The people they were putting through when I did the tech cert was ridiculous.
One lad tried to hang a radiator on a plywood wall using a masonry drill bit on hammer action! He passed.

The college take the money and mindlessly tick the boxes

As the course is full time I wont need to pay anything apart from enrolment fee, I know that any costs outside of the course possibly tools etc I will have to sort out which is understandable. I'm really looking to learn a trade for myself and hopefully build on the quals to get me somewhere. I know the building game is a hard industry my brother was in it for years and run his own business for a long time. He is now a area soon to be regional manager for a big company called Seddon. Hopefully I can learn and just see where it takes me I am not doing this because I saw some stupid advert etc. This is a personal goal for me as I have never learned a trade.

use your bros contacts to get experience, dont hold back any chance grab it

Guys am I right in saying that if I have no prior knowledge within plumbing industry you have to do the City &Guilds 6129-22 (6035-02) Level 2 Certificate in
Plumbing Studies (Domestic)
then
City & Guilds 6129-33 (6035-03) Level 3 Certificate in

before I can do this

City & Guilds 6189 in Plumbing (NVQ Diploma Levels 2 & 3
in Plumbing) onlay asking as the the college page I am looking at says the first 2 are pre requsites and then the last 2 are for when you are working within the industry. So many courses its a bit confusing. Really need to make sure I dont waste any years doing something that won't mean anything.

first two are paperwork exercises at college and the nvq is proving competence on job that you can do as a self employed person, the tech certs take 4 yrs normally, the nvq level 2 I knocked on the head in 3 weeks using self employed examples and the nvq 3 took a bit longer, 5 weeks to finish. you just have to bully the course training officer or whatever to visit your workplace several times over a couple of weeks. the apprentices/kids take upto 2 years to do both nvqs!

Cheers, funny enough the tutorI spoke to said the same that he could give me the portfolio etc and get it done as soon as I could prob in 10 weeks. He has said for me to do a level 1 course as I have no priorknowledge which I can start in Jan for £200 with Cardiff and Vale and then start the Level 2 in September, following that do the nvq's. So it looks like I will do this. Thanks for your help

Guys am I right in saying that if I have no prior knowledge within plumbing industry you have to do the City &Guilds 6129-22 (6035-02) Level 2 Certificate in
then
City & Guilds 6129-33 (6035-03) Level 3 Certificate in

before I can do this

City & Guilds 6189 in Plumbing (NVQ Diploma Levels 2 & 3
in Plumbing) onlay asking as the the college page I am looking at says the first 2 are pre requsites and then the last 2 are for when you are working within the industry. So many courses its a bit confusing. Really need to make sure I dont waste any years doing something that won't mean anything.

6129 is finishing now so do not sign up for this!! The 6035 is its kind of replacement because the colleges fought to have something to sell to people not working in plumbing but the industry only recognises the 6189 which is an NVQ course i.e. you have to be able to complete on site assessments in the work place carrying out different plumbing related work. (both are diploma courses & both are both Level 2 & then Level 3)

From what I understand of the 6035 it follows a similar path to the 6189 so you would not want to do one then the other.

Cheers, funny enough the tutorI spoke to said the same that he could give me the portfolio etc and get it done as soon as I could prob in 10 weeks. He has said for me to do a level 1 course as I have no priorknowledge which I can start in Jan for £200 with Cardiff and Vale and then start the Level 2 in September, following that do the nvq's. So it looks like I will do this. Thanks for your help

I worked in drainage for nearly 10 years, last year I went on a 6 week intro to plumbing course at my local fe college, loved it and learnt a lot for £60.00.

Then went away and put my skills to use and started charging, always doing jobs I felt comfortable doing. Last September just gone, I enrolled on the full time 6035 course, I haven't looked back since. When I'm not at college I'm busy working for myself, just had to turn work down on boxing day! I'm not in it for the money just fancied getting out of working in a hole for the rest of my life.

Go back to college, you will never regret it. A guy I know has just been on a four grand fast track course and he told me they only covered domestic cold water principles, and covered soldering in ten mins! Wish you luck, stick at it and it will pay off!

do not need a level one!
if you have gcse maths and english grades c or higher and can spell your name and recognise the difference between plastic and metal and know the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer.

look closely at the entry requirements for level 2, you should already meet them without any prior plumbing experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to College interview tomorrow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock