Search the forum,

Discuss college help for plumbing level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyh1984

hey guys, im heading to college this september to hopefully do a level 2 qualification in plumbing so the year after i can do my level 3 which is gas installations etc as you probably know...... what i dont want to be doing is level 1, now if i have to do it if all else fails so be it, but im really aiming to hit that level 2 starter mark...

now iv done my first set of tests to get into college and past fine, now i have to go some time this month for an interview and to sit an aptitude test which will decide which level i start at 1 or 2, the only thing is, i have no clue or inclination what the aptitude test will consist of, what sort of questions and at what difficulty, as they did not give us any idea on what to come home and revise etc.

iv looked online and cant seem to find anything except some really basic stuff which surely cant be it as its what kids would be doing....

all was mentioned is the questions would revolve around plumbing, which made me believe they cant be too difficult as we dont know plumbing, thats what we are here to learn..

but anyways any help or advice from any plumbers of the world would be fantastic.

I sat an Aptitude Test for the same course today and it was pretty simple to be honest.

This is what I can remember:-
  • Started off with a few questions on 24hr format times that led on to Programmer timing, how long settings were on for etc.
  • Basic working out a Final Bill (adding up parts and applying VAT) and working out hours and overtime for pay.
  • Some basic Area and Volume questions - in bloody 'cm' for some reason!
  • Working out Volume of Oil Tank then working out how many days the Oil will last.
  • Measuring shapes on screen with a (crappy) on screen ruler that you have to drag over the shapes.
  • Calculating the Area of a Lead Flashing (Rectangular and Circular) then working out the weight.
  • 'Exploded' Cubes and Cones with markings on and then picking which one it would look like when put together.
  • Read a Statement about Boiler Installation and then answering questions about what you've just read.

There was probably a few more things but I can't remember at the moment.
All formulae (area of circle etc.) were given as well as any weights (Lead question) and timings (Oil question).
They gave me a piece of scrap paper and pen to work things out, as well as the world's most useless Calculator!

All in all it was pretty straightforward and no revision would be required to achieve a decent mark.

Hope all goes well for you!

Useless calculator??
Did it get the sums wrong?

HaHa! - No the sums went ok, but there was one question where I had to add up a Bill, apply VAT (at 17.5% so you can tell the age of the Test!) and then come up with a total.

No sweat on a 'normal' Calculator, just that the one they gave me didn't even have a 'Percentage' button!

I did wonder if it was a Stunt Calculator that they handed out on purpose to see how I'd react, but luckily I was ok and just multiplied the VAT on then worked out the difference instead - Simples!

Also the Calclator must have been designed by a complete nutter as the layout of the buttons and functions was all over the place - nothing like my last few Scientific ones.

I actually gave up on the damn thing halfway through and just worked it all out by hand as it was quicker.

You don't need a % button!
its easier to times the total by 1.2
that equals your vat!

Yes that's what I did - added up to get a Sub-Total, multiplied by 1.175 to get the Final Amount, then just subtracted the Sub-Total to fill in the VAT element box (all 3 boxes needed to be done).

I guess the Aptitude Test software must be a few years old by now as it was still at the 'old' 17.5% rate - don't know if Colleges over the country are using the same one though, but it seemed to me that it was basically checking whether or not you're happy around figures/formulae and could read and take in what was said.
Pretty basic really but can imagine someone getting a few things wrong if they don't take their time and try and blast through it.

Had a half tidy mark for it so hopefully will get accepted onto a course in September - should hear back from the College in a couple of weeks.

hey guys sorry for the slow reply, but thanks for your replies, today is crunch time, now from what was said above its set my mind at ease, one knowing there is a calculater involved lol, and 2 as one of the guys was reeling off the questions he was asked that sounds exactly same as the test page you can get on the bpec page, now if thats right im safe as iv done it twice with a 90% pass lol

i was a but worried bout the caluclator as some of the questions have some strange numbers in.
also i didint know about how to work the vat out until someone mentioned it so again il remember that, my test is at 2:30pm today, hope to god i pass it lol

Bit late now to bid you Good Luck, but hope all went well for you.

smashed it 96%, guy didnt even bother to interview me after, couldnt believe how quick i got through it and how everyone else in the group struggled, i know exactly which questions i got wrong too, i had a brain fart n couldnt remember which was mean mode n median, but still well impressed with it so alls good, back to school it is then haha

Glad you did we'll andy and cheers for letting us all know. Now it's time to get your thinking cap back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to college help for plumbing level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock