Search the forum,

Discuss Cold patches on rad suggestions please =) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Its a 600x1800 K2 so its a bit of a beast, fed from 10mm drops. I power flushed the system last year as a few of the rads had cold patches; this fixed the problem on the other rads. However this is the largest of all of them and it has a large cold patch In the middle at the bottom of the rad, When I power flushed the system I payed particular attention to this rad but still no joy.

Now I am going back to replace this rad next week and was just thinking could the pipe work be undersized perhaps?

I'd probably want a bit more info before I'd say it was the pipe size and start upgrading that? You'd think it would be that but if the radiator is red hot on the flow and return, hot over the entire area of the radiator except for a half moon shape in the middle at the bottom then it would still be solid corrosion in the middle of the radiator and a hot flow of water flowing over the top of this.

We used to have a nice thermal image of this proving it years ago.

If you aren't getting a decent temperature across the radiator then I would say it is the pipework size, or the pipework has a flow problem. You can normally see if you have a decent flow by opening a rad valve up into a bucket, the same on the return valve.

I take it once you'd flushed the others you balaned the system again? Try turning all the other off to see if you do get a decent flow and if the rad gets hot all over you will at least know it's a balancing or flow problem and help point toward whether it's pipework size, balancing or corrosion.

Hope this hasn't confused it further but it would be a lot of work to alter the pipework if it didn't need it, best to check first.

I'd probably want a bit more info before I'd say it was the pipe size and start upgrading that? You'd think it would be that but if the radiator is red hot on the flow and return, hot over the entire area of the radiator except for a half moon shape in the middle at the bottom then it would still be solid corrosion in the middle of the radiator and a hot flow of water flowing over the top of this.

We used to have a nice thermal image of this proving it years ago.

If you aren't getting a decent temperature across the radiator then I would say it is the pipework size, or the pipework has a flow problem. You can normally see if you have a decent flow by opening a rad valve up into a bucket, the same on the return valve.

I take it once you'd flushed the others you balaned the system again? Try turning all the other off to see if you do get a decent flow and if the rad gets hot all over you will at least know it's a balancing or flow problem and help point toward whether it's pipework size, balancing or corrosion.

Hope this hasn't confused it further but it would be a lot of work to alter the pipework if it didn't need it, best to check first.

It does get piping hot everywhere apart from the cold patch mentioned, and yes I rebalanced etc etc

it must of worked ok at time of install so if the pipes are cleaned well...!!!!.

take it off and give it a manual flush and get the mallet out.

Last edited by a moderator:
unlikley to be under sized pipework if the rad has cold patches undersized would be warm rather than hot

it must of worked ok at time of install

Ladbrooks wouldn't give you a bet on that one!

Most rads over about 3kw never heated properly on minibore. The runs were usually too long especially on drops. They het from brand new with a cold patch in the centre in the classic (these days) sludged up pattern and no amount of balancing (even shutting every other rad off) would make it work.

Running 15mm will cure it.

10mm = 2500 Watts output Maximum @ average rad temp of around 76.5 deg C.
Cold spot in middle (is it on both panels) = debris at the bottom. If you think about it trying to power flush large K2's with only 10mm feeds you are never going to get the water velocities through each panel to pick up & remove system debris 10mm is bad enough through K1's but as it enters a K2 it is either going to go to the front or the rear of course which ever is blocked the water will simple go through the other or over the top on each side.
Before replacing I would as Redsaw suggests take it off & flush with a 1/2" hose first. (standing on end & smacking it with a mallet may help)

Lets face it microbore's cack!!

Bigg rad. slow flow = debris deposit ...imho

Just had a quick look at a 600 x 1800mm K2 3.2+kW @ delta T 50deg C so you were all right 10mm is to small, sorry, as ever Tamz was right. (but it does kill me how some thing that power flushing with a big pump but though small pipes & valves is going to work)

Last edited:
I had this recently, flushed a system that had 10mm downstairs, went back a week later as still not getting warm, flushed each rad individually and opened up each rad valve to ensure i was getting flow, everything was working.

Replaced pump, still nothing, turned out to be the "H" section (as i call it) the bit where the feed and vent connect into system, just before pump. neutral part of system where sludge was building up

Just had a quick look at a 600 x 1800mm K2 3.2+kW @ delta T 50deg C so you were all right 10mm is to small, sorry, as ever Tamz was right. (but it does kill me how some thing that power flushing with a big pump but though small pipes & valves is going to work)

Learned at the school of experience Chris :wink:

i did say only ok tamz, not great.lol.

power flush is one job, re-piping is another.!.

try it with the customer first and if they agree, then more£££.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold patches on rad suggestions please =) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
I have 2 rads downstairs and boiler plus 13 rads on first floor upstairs. All work apart from the one downstairs, I have changed this rad and valves and bled all, still no joy, pipes are stone cold too. Think it’s on its own separate drop as other downstairs rad is hot. Beginning to wonder if...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Sorry I have sort of asked this before, tried professionals but not great 1st experience hence DIY attempt attempt again. 2 completely cold rad's, another one get pretty warm, flow pipe hot, return v.luke warm. (Both rad's I have manually flushed really well) Hot water works fine, boiler return...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock