Discuss CO Alarm Activated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't touch it if you haven't got your cmdda1.

You need a Kane 457 to measure ambient air, 455s don't do this.

If you come across with any alarms going off, cap off an ring supplier. Don't do anything else

You have done the right thing, but it sounds like someone needs to get to the bottom of it ASAP. The CO must be coming from somewhere and it cant be from an appliance in the property you were in if the gas was capped when you tested it.

You check for ingress coming from adjacent properties.

Read somewhere allowed upto 10ppm over an 8 hour period by the WHO.

Personally didnt realise Paul Weller did gas

ESP do have engineers who have CMDDA1 as I went round to a job my mate was on. Exactly same as yours, CO alarm activated, capped off, he went round checked boiler, hob and gas fire.

All working perfectly. He had about 100ppm CO near the front of the house, no appliances running.

He then went outside to recalibrate FGA and the CO went up to 200ppm. Went down the street, dropped to nothing, recalibrate again, went back and 200ppm almost outside the house. No flues on houses at front, no busy road, just a normal street.

Called ESP and after a bit of to and fro, got the right chap out who also involved Enviromental Health who relocated my mates customer and the people either side.

His initial feeling was it was something in the drainage/sewage underground or a gas build up but said it would need digging to investigate. I never did find out what it was in the end, sorry!

I thought they would have had some one who would deal with CO - but the guy was convinced they didn't. He even spoke to his boss about it, and he confirmed that it's nothing to do with them.

I've got a mate who works for BG and I know they have a team which do CO investigations, so I recommended the customer to get in touch with them and get them out to investigate properly.

National Grid (not Transco) ,do not engage in CMDDA1 activities and do not have it on their registration cards.

NG Engineers are equipped with an atmospheric monitor which is calibrated to measure CH4/O2/CO. It is not intended for use to test appliances but to trace gas escapes and monitor the air for CO and O2 deficiency.

The procedure they practice for verified FULL alarm conditions is the take actions to preserve life, the isolate the supply in the affected property and if necessary, isolate the supply in neighbouring connected properties i.e adjoining semi or terrace(s).

It is then for the owners of those properties to engage a GSR who has the necessary ticket endorsements to check those appliances/installations.

CO alarms are a nightmare as they can false trigger/battery fail/whatever.. If a punter calls with a full alarm, they will get cut off, rain/shine or snow.

It is perfectly acceptable to visit a property after co activation with core and appliances, CMDDA1 is not needed for this visit
First question on the door step "any co symptoms"? If yes cap gas, ventilate and send them for co test, if they confirm co then it's an investigation, CMDDA1 isn't enough to investigate confirmed co
If they come back with no co or say no symptoms on the door step then core and appliances is enough to check trace and deal with faulty appliance, if co is found but cannot be traced it goes to cmdda1 for investigation

Visited a fire for BFM in warranty today,BG turned off through signs of spillage,burner picture not right etc,changed the burner and injector and Gas Rated it ,sorted flame picture ,passed spillage,but i noted condensate was forming on the top of the back panel,so put my fga there and got 25 ppm,isolated and kicked it back to the installer,looked like poor sealing around the plate,no gas iso on appliance and air relief cut to suit gas pipe

Kirkgas, is it just any engineer then with cmdda1, that can do the investigation, he doesn't necessarily need to work for BG, NG etc, I.e. A small firm with an engineer with relevant can do the investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CO Alarm Activated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock