Discuss Chrome Pipe Weld issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darrena

Hi
I'm after a little advice!
I am trying to fit a towel rail in our new ensuite we are building.
We wanted the pipes comign out of the wall to be chrome plated.
We have today tried to weld chrome with copper pipe and it just wont take, any ideas on pipe prep would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards
Darren

file all the chrome off back to the bare copper, then use wire wool or whatever you normally use to clean tube up, or use compression

Remove the thin layer of chrome plating from about 15mm from the end of the pipe using a dremmel or sanding disk and just solder as normal.

Apparantly, if you use an active flux such as Laco, you don't have to remove the chrome. Never tried it myself but seen a thread on here and a few lads say it works

Apparantly, if you use an active flux such as Laco, you don't have to remove the chrome. Never tried it myself but seen a thread on here and a few lads say it works

mmm .....interesting, I must get me some of that Laco as soon as I've used this damn Powerflow.

When I fit a chrome towel rail I get two bits of chrome pipe and grind the chrome off the ends using the bench grinder in the garage. It saves time then messing about, there's enough work to already when fitting a bathroom.

Don't do it, looks a mess.
Use chromed compression fittings.

If the fitting is out of sight (eg only a straight tube up to the towel rail from the floor), then I tend to just use a compression fitting. If there is a joint visible then ... and I know I'm going to get shot down for this but ... IMHO the best finish comes from end-feed fittings on normal copper tube, painted silver with a metallic paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chrome Pipe Weld issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock