Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Changing a radiator, to flush or not first in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a rusty radiator in the bathroom, not worth repainting as there is already paint on top of rust. It will be straightforward for me to change myself, I can get an identical replacement Stellrad, which makes things easy. The water in the system has inhibitors in it and a Fernox TF1 has kept the system clean for years. Should I add a system flushing product and make sure it gets through every radiator before draining down? Having the Fernox TF1 would make this easy to do. The system will get new inhibitor when it is refilled.

If your system is as clean as you think no point but if you suspect your other rads are also corroded (internally) you might want to take the opportunity to try and remove any sitting corrosion.

If your system is as clean as you think no point but if you suspect your other rads are also corroded (internally) you might want to take the opportunity to try and remove any sitting corrosion.
In the 11 years since the system was filled, the magnetic unit in the Fernox has been taken out by me about 4 times. There has not been much in the way of rust on it ever, and not much general debris has drained from it. The inhibitor must have been working. Also in that time, there has been no need to bleed any of the radiators, so no hydrogen has been given off. It might well be just a waste of money and effort using a flushing agent, although I will have to add new inhibitor

Reply to Changing a radiator, to flush or not first in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
Hi - we have had new radiators fitted about 6 months ago ("DuraTherm Horizontal Double Flat Panel Designer Radiator" from plumbworld - sorry, this...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively...
Replies
Views
My 3 way actuator valve has gone on my central heating. I think it's a combination of the valve motor burning out due to a stiff valve on the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I bought my house last year and recently had a couple of radiators swapped for modern triple columns. Since they were installed they...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock