Search the forum,

Discuss CH pump replacement concerns. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. My Parker 15-60 130 pump has been running fine for 7 years at its highest speed. It has recently developed a knocking sound when hot and working hard (disappears on speed 2) but this is not fast enough for my 15 radiator bungalow. Bleeding the pump had no effect so I suspect it might be on its way out and am considering upgrading to a grundfos UPS3... but I see here on the forums that these pumps can give problems through being too powerful? Any comments? Might I be better with a Salus 100A or 200A which also have auto pressure facility. (Also much cheaper!)
Cheers
David

The UPS3 wouldn't be top powerful, it's their choice of PP settings that I don't like, I would suggest that Dab evosta3 is a better choice as it shows you the power, the head and the flowrate OR a pump like my own, a Wilo Yonos Pico 6m where you can set the PP & CP modes in 0.
1M increments.

Forget Auto Adopt as it rarely works on any make of pump. If you indent to add more or bigger rads then a 8M Wilo might be a good choice too.

Can't edit on my ancient Iphone but thinking re above again the DAB is possiy the fit for you as it is actually a 7M (4m/7m) pump.

Thanks John. I'll check out the DAB. At first sight it seems rather underpowered given my old pump used to have to run flat out at about 90W. I previously understated my radiator count... its actually 19.

Thanks John. I'll check out the DAB. At first sight it seems rather underpowered given my old pump used to have to run flat out at about 90W. I previously understated my radiator count... its actually 19.
Thanks John. I'll check out the DAB. At first sight it seems rather underpowered given my old pump used to have to run flat out at about el90W. I previously understated my radiator count... its actually 19.
You require a 8m pump definitely so, DAB a good choice but only if they make a 8m model otherwise a wilo 8m IMO,

Thanks John. A DAB it will be. But I cannot justify the higher, triple, cost of an Evosta 3 80. Just have to decide if the (more highly specced) Evosta 3 60 (marginally lower pressure/flow than my current), or the simpler Evosta 2 40-70 (marginally higher) will do the trick

Hadn't realised that the evosta3 has a lower output than the evosta2 looking at the evosta2 curves then assuming 19 rads @ 1.5kw each, a 10c dT will require a flow of - 2.4m3/hr so pump head is around 2m, too low but if a dT of up to 15c is ok then head is around 3.8m so there or there a outs and probably ok.
John

Hadn't realised that the evosta3 has a lower output than the evosta2 looking at the evosta2 curves then assuming 19 rads @ 1.5kw each, a 10c dT will require a flow of - 2.4m3/hr so pump head is around 2m, too low but if a dT of up to 15c is ok then head is around 3.8m so there or there a outs and probably ok.
John
Thanks John. Very helpful.

6m pump John. I'm running it at Proportional 3. 34W 4.2m head 3.3cu m per hour initially. Will monitor it more closely after I've rebalanced the rads. 13 of the rads have thermostatc valves so I expect to see differences as house warms up.

I interpret from the pump curves that the flowrate is 1.02m3/hr, 17.0LPM which, depending on the rads output may give a dT of 15C to 20C.

1711222010885.png

Apologies John. Typo on my part. Indicated flow rate is indeed 1.3 cu m per hour and your delta T of between 15 to 20 deg C across the boiler is spot on. Delta T across radiators is very variable because of thermostatic valves. Delta T across boiler drops when hot water cylinder calls.

Reply to CH pump replacement concerns. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock