Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Central heating system drained, leaks repaired and now gushing flowing noises in radiators and pipes in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Martell

Martell New Member

I had a new boiler installed 3 years ago. Recently, I called in a plumber to fix leaking radiator valves. He drained the system and repaired the leaking valves. He also fitted 2 TRVs on 2 radiators in my lounge where there hadn't been TRVs before. I have a large lounge (originally 2 rooms) with 3 radiators and now they all have TRVs. I turned on the heating and most of the radiators in the house are making a continuous gushing, flowing sound which is intolerably loud. There is also a gushing sound in the pipes, particularly the vertical pipes bringing water from upstairs.

I've bled the radiators 3 times. Initially, there was air in 2 upstairs radiators. The water pressure on the boiler reads 1 1/2 to 2 bars. Turning off a radiator by turning down the TRV stops the noise, but I need all 3 radiators on in my lounge. I've turned off the heating this evening because I can't tolerate the noise. I didn't have this problem before the leaks were repaired. Please can someone advise me what to do.

2. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

Call back the plumber.

3. Martell

Martell New Member

Thank you. If you feel you know what's causing the noise I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. dancinplumba

dancinplumba Trusted Plumber GSR

could be air still if big system or probs trvs nad velocity of water through them, they probs cheap, take the heads off as a temp solution , where is your room stat ? get a better plumber

5. dancinplumba

dancinplumba Trusted Plumber GSR

is it an open vented system ?

6. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

Ball valve stuck up in the air in the f+e?

7. Martell

Martell New Member

Hi. Thank you. My room stat is in the lounge. I don't know what an open vented system is! I suspect (not knowing much about central heating systems) that the noise is connected to the new TRVs as it's too much of a coincidence that the problem started when these were installed.

8. Martell

Martell New Member

Thank you. Sorry, I don't know what the f+e is, but it seems I'm going to have to get the plumber back and suggesting these possible causes will be helpful - so thanks for that.

9. Martell

Martell New Member

I just Googled open vented system and no I don't think I have that. I have a Worcester Greenstar combi boiler. Hope that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

What is the pump speed setting? If it's high, You could try reducing it (if that's an option with a combi).

11. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hard to say without hearing it but it does sound more like air , you need the plumber back pal .

12. Martell

Martell New Member

Thanks very much for all your help, everyone. I've phoned the plumber and left a message! Hope he can cure the problem as having the heating on is not an option - I can't bear the noise.

13. Martell

Martell New Member

Thank you ver much. I don't know how to locate the pump speed setting, but I've left a message for the plumber to come back and fix the problem.

14. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

On a separate pump it's straightforward, there's a manual selector on the pump. Don't know if it's the same on a combi, or if done via the software settings (if it's possible at all). Maybe one of the experts will tell us.

15. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Where is the thermostat in the lounge in relation to the radiators. The rads may not have had trvs for the reason that your stat is in there.