Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating header tank expansion overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robo1889

Evening all
Had a call out today from a care home, hot water coming out of overflow.
It was from the f&e header central heating. I removed the lid and found the level was high and
Expansion was overflowing into the tank. The heating was on the rads were working fine and hot
water was also fine, as we're the motorised valves. I noticed the bottom stats on the cylinders (primary and secondary)
were loose and one had dropped off they seemed old so I put two new ones on thinking this was the
problem but its still discharging when heating is on. I also noticed the ball valve was full of water and heavy so drained
the tank and replaced the ball valve and got the level down to where it should be, the water was a bit sludgy
but I've seen worse. Could it just need a drain down and powerflush or is it pointing to the coil??

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all
Had a call out today from a care home, hot water coming out of overflow.
It was from the f&e header central heating. I removed the lid and found the level was high and
Expansion was overflowing into the tank. The heating was on the rads were working fine and hot
water was also fine, as we're the motorised valves. I noticed the bottom stats on the cylinders (primary and secondary)
were loose and one had dropped off they seemed old so I put two new ones on thinking this was the
problem but its still discharging when heating is on. I also noticed the ball valve was full of water and heavy so drained
the tank and replaced the ball valve and got the level down to where it should be, the water was a bit sludgy
but I've seen worse. Could it just need a drain down and powerflush or is it pointing to the coil??
Before any other work, monitoring the the overflow situation would be my starting point. Based on the fact that the ball valve float was faulty, the problem may well be solved. Or the shut of water level and overflow height were to close to absorb the expansion generated by the heating up of the system.

Thanks for the reply I will pop back Monday and check it out not heard anything yet so no news = good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating header tank expansion overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve noticed my ballcock valve is always running in the loft on the small f and e tank but when heating is on its fine, also no water coming out of the overflow, any ideas.?
Replies
Views
Hello want to know on how do you calculate size of expansion tank for closed heating systems . for example 500 meters of 16mm underfloor heating and 4 double ~1000mm radiators , hot water cylinder coil , and oil boiler
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock