Discuss Cast iron soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscriber
Doing a bathroom refurb and we have unearthed a cast stack going straight up through bathroom and venting out through the roof.

Basically needs to be removed from the bathroom area . However I don' wish to disturb anything going through the roof.
Would you guys just cut the section out if its clamped in the roof ?
Resized_20171114_124429_7665.jpeg

Is it supported in the roof ?

Going to look in the loft tomoz.
Builder exposed this today and sent the pic

If it's supported above in the loft I would say your fine

Builder can fix the roof once it's out. Lot of weight to it. I know I wouldn't be happy leaving it up there.

It' clamped well and only a couple foot left in roof space.

Pretty much left that to the builder tho so upto him

I'm gong to say this just so I've said it!

If you leave it in, it will more than likely cause an issue in the future and someone will point the finger at you.

Even if it just leaks rainwater, they will say

" The Plumber left it in"

It will drip when it rains!! it didn't matter before because it terminated in a drain. Now it is an open ended pipe. It will eventually wet the ceiling enough to cause damage.

I would keep your reputation intact and finish the job.

It' clamped well and only a couple foot left in roof space.

Pretty much left that to the builder tho so upto him

I'm gong to say this just so I've said it!

If you leave it in, it will more than likely cause an issue in the future and someone will point the finger at you.

Even if it just leaks rainwater, they will say

" The Plumber left it in"

It will drip when it rains!! it didn't matter before because it terminated in a drain. Now it is an open ended pipe. It will eventually wet the ceiling enough to cause damage.

I would keep your reputation intact and finish the job.

Right just to get this straight I said I will cut it out and adapt . What's left in the roof has since been passed to the builder who has capped the top of the vent.

The builder has looked at it and I'd happy to leave it . I have explained this to the customer who has also talked to the builder.

The way you lot talk at times you just as well be builders rather than plumbers.

You did start by asking what we would do.

If the builder went up on the roof to cap it off and you cut it in the roof space, it must have been easier between you to pull it out?

I can only answer the question and tell you what I personally would do in your situation.

No offence was intended. In fact, I was thinking more of things coming back at you in the future.

Last edited:
I would take it out and use the existing hole for the exhaust for a inline bathroom fan or a passive supply air to keep the bathroom well ventilated, only a suggestion. Cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast iron soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back