Discuss carry on training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrianfs1

hi all, looking for some advice on furthering my training, wanted to take my nvq3 but all courses include acs, as im self employed i cant fulfil a portfolio, so, wandering, if i just stay plumbing on what couses would you guys suggest, i was thinking maybe unvented and maybe part p.

why not,surely you know a rgi you can work with to get the gas experience, I worked on my own and still managed to do the gas work with a mate and get the acs done.

my main trade is property repairs, got into plumbing through this because i was getting small plumbing jobs but i needed to make sure i was doing them correctly, so got some training, know i really enjoy it and want more, dont know any gas installers have asked about but hit with same response every time ie any experiance or have not got the time. is there anyone out there from north yorks willing to help if not have to concentrate on just plumbing.

m8 same as me, property maintenance, converting flats for myself later on and doing college/plumbing at same time, met plumbers etc and badgered one into mentoring me (rather sat in pub with nvq folders feeding him pints for signatures) then he also helped with acs folder, more pints, but all along working for myself and doing jobs with him. Once i got gas ticket found him asking me for advice occassionally, dont give up gas work makes a living plumbing at present scrapes a living, imho, get out there, good luck

nice to hear of someone making it for a change albeit a while ago, not sure i will ever get there, just can not afford to put property repairs on back burner, if i had a mentor prob would go onto nvq3 and acs. ok doing the training but can not do the work, maybe lucky and get an emergancy callout while her gas fitter husband stuck at work, do good job get to know them who knows.

you dont have to pass the acs to get the nvq3, do you have the tec cert 2 and 3 and nvq2?

what do you mean a while ago????, only got gas safe registered last year and started college 5 years back, but it was a long slog, the "old" bit is that at college all the youngsters showed the utmost respect for their elders at all times lol, but as ever learning all the time, never ashamed to ask

got tec cert 2 and nvq 2 done these with olci very good, not fast track took me 2yrs, done some research and all training centres are either going into admin or the ones that appear to be successfull only offer tec cert 3 nvq 3 and acs in the one package, price is the lesser of importance, but if i have no mentor why do the training if i can not fullfil the portfolio.

sorry didnt mean to imply old, christ im 45, but as you say im same always learning and definetly never afraid to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
got tec cert 2 and nvq 2 done these with olci very good, not fast track took me 2yrs, done some research and all training centres are either going into admin or the ones that appear to be successfull only offer tec cert 3 nvq 3 and acs in the one package, price is the lesser of importance, but if i have no mentor why do the training if i can not fullfil the portfolio.

sorry didnt mean to imply old, christ im 45, but as you say im same always learning and definetly never afraid to ask.

good luck mate

when or if i get a mentor and say i started my training would the sequence of events be like the following, do the training, during this period watch my mentor, complete the traing my mentor watchs me, is this about right.

fuzzy, was that"good look mate" good look mate or good luck you will need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
when or if i get a mentor and say i started my training would the sequence of events be like the following, do the training, during this period watch my mentor, complete the traing my mentor watchs me, is this about right.

fuzzy, was that"good look mate" good look mate or good luck you will need it.

just wishing you good luck, hope it works out for you

Adriansf1, just a thought on getting gas mentor, if you can get some gas work via the property maintenance what about trying to get a gas engineer to do and get paid for the job, with you watching/assisting/learning for free to get your portfolio, one stumbling block will be that some gas engineers dont like doing work for agents/landlords as the pay is rubbish and collecting the money is even worse, but got to be worth a go

why r people bamging on about get registered now, the standard of plumbers will not go down just because they call the qual something different` it took me 2 yrs to get 6129 cert 2 and nvq 2, and i consider myself a f*****g good investment when a customer calls, i have many other skills and do very well as regards to custmer satisfaction, reliability and have a great sense of gratitude to the customer for giving me the opertunity to prove myself, i do consider myself GREEN but how else are we to learn especially when(not having a go)nobody that does know wants to know,it really does seem to me that folk dont want to pass on their gen. when i was 17 i am now 45 i had every oppertunity to learn, thicko me did not take that chance, now however at every oppotunity i push to teach kids the essentials. knowledge is food, sharing is essential.

why r people bamging on about get registered now, the standard of plumbers will not go down just because they call the qual something different` it took me 2 yrs to get 6129 cert 2 and nvq 2, and i consider myself a f*****g good investment when a customer calls, i have many other skills and do very well as regards to custmer satisfaction, reliability and have a great sense of gratitude to the customer for giving me the opertunity to prove myself, i do consider myself GREEN but how else are we to learn especially when(not having a go)nobody that does know wants to know,it really does seem to me that folk dont want to pass on their gen. when i was 17 i am now 45 i had every oppertunity to learn, thicko me did not take that chance, now however at every oppotunity i push to teach kids the essentials. knowledge is food, sharing is essential.

If you are not employed in the industry you will not get a plumbing qualification when the enw one comes out. Therefore you have to get registered now if you want a 6129, its the last chance for those not employed as plumbers or plumbers mates or apprentices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to carry on training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have recently passed the ACS Gas Qualifications, joined the Gas Safe register and have passed the initial probation meeting with...
Replies
Views
C
Hello All I am writing on behalf of my husband who hates anything online. so I will try and explain things best I can. He completed the...
Replies
Views
C1403
C
Ok, so I still have £2,000 left over from leaving the military to spend on further training that is at NVQ level 3 or equivalent. One of the...
Replies
Views
D
I am looking for a Gas Safe training course that will get me Gas Safe registered. Been speaking with OLCI, CFT, and Train fot trades. I have my...
Replies
Views
DCann-MacLean
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock