Search the forum,

Discuss Carbon Monoxide monitor in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Two quick questions:

1 If a central heating system is installed, should a Carbon Monoxide monitor be part of that install (ie should it be the qualified engineers responsibility to install)?

2 What's the best place to position one?

Many thanks

1. No, its not mandatory for room sealed appliances, but it is advisable.
2. At a fair height (e.g. above doorway), not too close to flue-less appliance (e.g. gas hob). For example if the boiler is in the northwest corner of a kitchen and the entrance door is in the southeast corner, then above the door frame.
3. Easy enough to fit yourself if you can use a drill and a screwdriver. The device should be indelibly marked with the date of installation, as they all have a finite lifetime.

What fuel is the central heating? Requirement for carbon monoxide detectors on stoves/multi stoves/with or without a boiler.

Thank you for those rapid replies

The system runs off the 47kg bottles at present as no mains gas available

I can do basic DIY so will put one up, I thought maybe in the current H&S climate it would be part of an installation check list as such

The boiler itself is in a small room, probably 5ft x 5ft, that has no other purpose. Opposite it is the cloak (same size), and then the entrance to the kitchen. The two small rooms are separated by a slightly smaller back door entrance

I was thinking it would go in the kitchen but perhaps it should be in the ‘back door enteance/hall’ between the two small rooms? If centrally mounted on the ceiling it would be 6/7ft from the actual boiler albeit separated off by the boiler room door

Or i could wall mount it above the door frame of either room

Is there meant to be a minimum distance from the boiler unit, or some guidance like it should be in the first frequently used room or somethng?

Sorry for the newbie questions

I was thinking it would go in the kitchen but perhaps it should be in the ‘back door enteance/hall’ between the two small rooms? If centrally mounted on the ceiling it would be 6/7ft from the actual boiler albeit separated off by the boiler room door

Or i could wall mount it above the door frame of either room

Is there meant to be a minimum distance from the boiler unit, or some guidance like it should be in the first frequently used room or somethng?
Humidity can make CO monitors problematic. There are lots of 'Where to put my CO monitors?' sites on the WWW that all basically say the same thing. E.g.

seems to be a quite nicely done. In my opinion, it is also important to be familar with the symptoms of CO poisoning so you recognise the signs, if you ever encounter them.

Reply to Carbon Monoxide monitor in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock