Search the forum,

Discuss Carbon monoxide alarms rented houses in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
England is joining Scotland and requiring carbon monoxide alarms installed in rented properties from the 1st of October. How would you categoryies one not being there on a CP12. At risk?

Thanka but it is supposedly law after October 1st 2022 to have them fitted in rental properties with gas burning appliances expect cookers
Yes ok I get that, but where’s the risk? Risk of CO from a dodgy appliance that should be maintained. Ncs imo would apply here and note down. Again unless anything changes by the governing bodies.

Yep all appliances including cookers I’ve read

Last edited:
Maybe its up to landlord to fit or get installer at time of visit to fit.
It's classed as non compliant which is the same as not to current standards. However, failure to fit a required safety feature like smoke or co alarms could make the landlord or gas safe engineer liable for any damages. So like always document everything you see and do because it could prove very costly if you don't.

The problem is as always it's the bad landlords that do everything wrong and it's the good ones who pay the price. No matter what regulations they bring in the same people are fitting illegal gas appliances, putting people at risk and charging very vulnerable people rent....it makes me sick. I visit these places and I'll cap them off and a week later that disc is removed and nothing has been done.

RIDDORs only hurt legitimate gas engineers and the illegal ones carry on regardless.

This link if it works. Says that CO alarms must be fitted, and not, should be fitted. Which in my eyes means you cannot fill out the cp12 as a pass. I carry both on the van and got on site. (With permission of course).

It can't be at risk and it can't be I.D and the only other thing we can do is say it's non compliant and the landlord has a legal duty to comply with that. Obviously the landlord can pay you to fit them but an awful lot won't pay the 70 pounds I charge to fit them.

It would be interesting to see what gas safe had to say but I think it will non compliant and as long as you state that you've done your job.

It’s down to the landlord now you can sell them this service but it’s down to them to make sure they have one

But as a trained gas engineer you know that it is now law.
I know that travelling at over 70mph is illegal, but I don't sit at the side of the road writing down numbers and reporting the drivers.

If checking the CO detector was within the scope of a CP12 it would be stated in the legislation.

The link I posted says guidance for Landlords and Tenants, it's doesn't say guidance for Gas engineers.

There's nothing to stop anyone noting it on the CP12 and the same if you noticed the smoke alarms were out of date.

This is just like the electrical EICR, badly thought out and open to interpretation.

Ive seen reports giving unsatisfactory because of the lack of alarms - but they are not in BS 7671

if they are fitted and out of date I do report a C2 , but if they aren’t fitted then it’s a comment for the landlord to act on

Reply to Carbon monoxide alarms rented houses in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock