Discuss Captive compression joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. All the advice was sound and I now know to back off gently and move on. Blood pressure now back to normal!
By all means you can try email national supplier with photos and your concerns and say your withholding the £300 final payment until the work is satisfactory, by satisfactory I mean working correctly and everything serviceable. Poor looking fittings and large drips of solder, unfortunately don't give you much of a leg to stand on.

For future reference, a proper engineer would not have attempted to do your job in a day, it's 2 days minimum to flush and install, takes longer but you get workmanship you'll be happy with. When these larger firms subcontract the work out, it's a set price and the only way the engineer can make any money is to rush the job. In future, employ a local engineer with a good rep.

By all means you can try email national supplier with photos and your concerns and say your withholding the £300 final payment until the work is satisfactory, by satisfactory I mean working correctly and everything serviceable. Poor looking fittings and large drips of solder, unfortunately don't give you much of a leg to stand on.

For future reference, a proper engineer would not have attempted to do your job in a day, it's 2 days minimum to flush and install, takes longer but you get workmanship you'll be happy with. When these larger firms subcontract the work out, it's a set price and the only way the engineer can make any money is to rush the job. In future, employ a local engineer with a good rep.
Agree. Half a dozen people have taken a cut of the money. The poor guy at the end turns up to a badly surveyed job, with the wrong boiler and not enough time to do the work and has to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:

Hmmm “in future...”.Sadly all households have to make budgets stretch and at £2 870 for a WB 39i with flushing and filters including 10 yr WB parts and Labour AND 10 year annual servicing (yesI know the company could go bust next year) it would be hard for any independent local heating engineer to compete. I wish it could be otherwise. My point was purely technical ie “are those fittings acceptable”. Thankfully you all agree that they are. So thank you for your input.

Reply to Captive compression joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock