Search the forum,

Discuss Can't Unscrew Kitchen Tap Cover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glosguy

See two photos.

TAPS VIEW.jpg IMMOVABLE SECTION.jpg
Hot tap on left keeps dripping, even a continuous flow sometimes. We've managed to get the top off and can see the ceramic cartridge inside, but we can't unscrew the next vertical body section (think it's called "the shield) to get at it. Amazingly, there's no indentations on the shield to allow a wrench to get a purchase, so it just slides about ineffectively and we can't get any further.

Can anyone advise please, how we might get the shield part freed and unscrewed to get at the cartridge?

As they are quarter turn taps unless you know the brand of taps or know you can match and source the right cartridge you may as well replace the whole tap.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Decided in the end to replace the taps.

tea towel and pump pliers, save wasting your money

rubber strap grips slip or just break and the wide jaw grips just dont, tried them both and gone back to the tea towel, if the cover is that tight the chrome is going to be damaged, taps need replacing

Last edited by a moderator:
tea towel and pump pliers, save wasting your money

rubber strap grips slip or just break and the wide jaw grips just dont, tried them both and gone back to the tea towel, if the cover is that tight the chrome is going to be damaged, taps need replacing

Ok thanks I won't buy them after all then. Tea towel it will have to be!

Last edited:
Tea towel it will have to be!

And now we get a long thread about what brand of tea-towel. Some will insist that you need a Marks and Spencer luxury Egyptian cotton tea-towel, whilst others swear by Asda own brand.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't Unscrew Kitchen Tap Cover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi. I have Charlton Mixer Tap in my shower i.e. thermostat and water control. I need to change the cartridge in the tap as it is dripping badly. However, I'm really struggling to access the cartridge. The way to remove the tap appears to be to unscrew the chrome covering i.e. this will bring...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question. I have a leaking kitchen tap. I'm a bit confused on the part I need to get. On Screwfix I can see "Flomasta 1/2 inch BSP quarter turn ceramic tap glands" - are these the right parts? But I can also see 8x8mm 20-tooth spines, 9x9mm 20-Tooth Spines and others - which of these...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock