Search the forum,

Discuss can you extend an external overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drensta

Hello.

I own a flat in a small block of flats and there is an issue with one of the other flats overflow pipe (from the cistern) which is constantly dripping.

The flat is question is owned by an absent landlord who seems only interested in getting their monthly rent and not keeping the flat in good condition.

We (the freeholders) have continually asked the owner to fix dripping pipe. it has been going on for months and we are worried that if not fixed it could start leading to permanent damage.

The response is always 'I will look into it' but nothing ever happens.

The owner will not allows us access to fix the problem but is not fixing the problem themselves either.

I have thought that maybe the overflow pipe could be extended into a drain a meter or so away (at least the drip will be in the drain and not on the ground).

The pics show the problem and the drain of where it could be extended to
The overflow pipe is 2CM in diameter.

Can the pipe be modified/extended from the outside so it leads into the drain without the need to enter the property?

full size pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1igy0qxqo7pua4/AABmRKfp4qO64Re3suoJDw6Ia?dl=0

pic.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpg

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum drensta, The short answer is yes.

Looks like an overflow from a WC cistern, it could be piped to the drain but it is considered to be a warning pipe to indicate a problem hence a repair is required

A bit of plumbers mate in the end of the overflow to block it. Then see how quick it gets fixed with an overflowing cistern inside.

Thanks for the response.

We have been telling the owner that it needs repairing for the past 7 or 8 months.
They are well aware of the issue but refuse to do anything to fix it and will not give us permission to enter their property.

We would like to try and stop the dripping before any damage to the brickwork is caused by the cold weather ect.

lol, believe me. there has been many times I have been wanting to shove something into pipe ;)

Thanks for the response.

We have been telling the owner that it needs repairing for the past 7 or 8 months.
They are well aware of the issue but refuse to do anything to fix it and will not give us permission to enter their property.

We would like to try and stop the dripping before any damage to the brickwork is caused by the cold weather ect.

All the required work can be done without entering the property.

What if the flat has a water meter and the tenant pay`s the bill does that open an avenue for an order to get it repaired within x time scale?

thanks for the confirmation. glad that we can get some sort of fix in place.

Extending overflow to drain is simple but if water then freezes, in extended pipe, damage from overflow of cistern in building could leave you liable. Leave air gap so water drips into extended pipe.

A dripping overflow is a waste of water, and contrary to section 3 part 1 of The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999. I would inform the owner, in writing by recorded delivery:

1. If not fixed within 14 days, will be reported to the water supplier. The penalty, on conviction, is a fine not exceeding £1,000

2. Any costs associated with repairing damage will be for the owner to bear, including the freehold company's reasonable expenses, including legal fees.

3. Open and drink bottle of wine. Use cork

Is there not water board responsibility here as its constant water wastage??

I agree with contacting the local water supplier. In fact, give details of local water supplier to everyone in the other flats and ask them to send letters and phone the water supplier to state water constantly running and owner of that flat number has refused to fix it for months. When the water supplier gets several calls, they will no doubt move on it.
You could also throw a few buckets of water over the entrance door to that flat and ring the water company to express concern. :smile:
If you do put a cork in the overflow pipe, - do remove the cork once the flat has just flooded enough. :grin:

Last edited:
Extending overflow to drain is simple but if water then freezes, in extended pipe, damage from overflow of cistern in building could leave you liable. Leave air gap so water drips into extended pipe.

Am I missing something here as I don`t see the difference between creating an air gap between the pipes and the pipe overhanging the drain after all it is a drip in a 21.5mm pipe.

Am I missing something here as I don`t see the difference between creating an air gap between the pipes and the pipe overhanging the drain after all it is a drip in a 21.5mm pipe.

Hello rpm,

The suggestion from joni os is that an extended overflow pipe could freeze and block completely with ice - the Cistern would then overflow into the Bathroom / W.C. and cause damage in the Flat.

joni os is suggesting that the existing overflow have an elbow fitted which would allow the overflow to drip [with an air gap] into a pipe which extends to the drain - if that extended pipe did freeze completely the water would still drip out onto the ground instead of into the Bathroom / W.C.

Chris

Last edited:
Cheers CHRISX, only asked as I`ve never seen an air gap on an external overflow pipe overhanging a drain.

Cheers CHRISX, only asked as I`ve never seen an air gap on an external overflow pipe overhanging a drain.

Hello again rpm,

It would be because of the possibility that the extended length of overflow pipe going to the drain might freeze completely.

A drip can build up enough ice in freezing temperatures to block an overflow pipe - even if the temporary extension was run at an angle directly to the drain gully there is still a chance of it freezing completely in really cold temperatures.

However - if I was fitting a temporary extension I would use 35mm waste pipe & fittings for the overflow to drip into - and run it at an angle directly to the gully.

BUT - doing that might cause the owner of the Flat to never deal with the overflowing W.C. Cistern without the Water Authority being notified.

Chris

Last edited:
If owner has been contacted and continues to ignore dripping overflow, water damage from other sources in flat may also have occurred. This could, falsely, be attributed to blocked overflow. Did not wish to leave OP open to a bogus claim, which, if involving insurance company, would be expensive to defend. Hence suggestion of air gap.

The sad thing is its probably just a knackered diaphragm washer. A ten minute job and minimal cost. Typical landlord

If owner has been contacted and continues to ignore dripping overflow, water damage from other sources in flat may also have occurred. This could, falsely, be attributed to blocked overflow. Did not wish to leave OP open to a bogus claim, which, if involving insurance company, would be expensive to defend. Hence suggestion of air gap.

Hello joni os,

Your suggestion about temporarily extending the overflow including an Air gap was a good one as I explained in my previous messages.

I am sure that most Members would agree.

Chris

Simple.
If they wont fix it - when its dark fill it with expansion foam. If they dont see you .
Once the leak is internal they will soon fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can you extend an external overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock