Search the forum,

Discuss Can it be done? is there the demand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

papillon_65

A recurring theme but I need to find out before I commit. I have the offer of a generous redundancy package on offer and am fed up with being a corporate slave. I am considering retraining as a plumber so I can work for myself and be master of my own destiny. I have a long career in customer service and have managed people and am fully capable of managing myself and running my own business. I have also worked in a manual trade to a decent standard albeit a completely different discipline.
I have looked at lots of fast-track courses available and believe I could pick up the basic skills necessary.
The question I need to ask is whether there is the demand for plumbers and whether it is a viable option for someone like myself. I am under no illusions as to the amount of effort required but there is a lot of conflicting advice out there from "there is no demand" to "fast-track courses are no good" to "I completed the course but couldn't find work".
My father (who has been deceased for 15 years unfortunately) was a self employed plumbing and heating engineer and always had work and I also have seen first hand what is involved so I am not looking at it through rose tinted specs.
Has anyone else been through this loop or have a sensible opinion on this?
I am aware that existing plumbers are not particularly keen to have more competition but I believe I have what it takes to succeed if the work is out there. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tony

There is work out there but it is very difficlt for a newly qualified plumber to get all the contacts required. You ear of high wages which attracts people into the business but they are only achievable when you have all the quals and experience to give you the speed and contacts required to gain those BIG wages.
I suggest taking the 6129L2 if poss to get some basic skills, just look at it as a stepping stone. If you like it and want to progress then you can go onto TC L3 or try to get a job with a plumber to upgrade the 6129 to 6089 which is the NVQ.
The difficult bit is the 'work with a plumber' as many people want this experience but cannot really offer the plumber anything in return they are reluctant to have somebody tagging along!

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can it be done? is there the demand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock