Discuss Can I fit a boiler, and then have it certified by a qualified gas fitter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayjay

Hi,
was wondering if it's possible to install a new boiler myself and then pay to have it checked by a certified gas safe registered engineer.
I'm currently a Petty officer in the Royal navy serving on a nuclear submarine. I have a Hons degree in marine engineering and I am a CAT B nuclear Engineer. I think what I'm trying to say is I have 8 yrs experience in multi engineering disciplines i.e hydraulics, electrics, Gas turbines, and nuclear propulsion. If I had the time I would love to qualify as a certified gas safe engineer.At the moment I spend a lot of time away. I'm not trying to save money, but by fitting the boiler myself it's just to have the pleasure of installing a boiler and possibly installing the central heating in my self-build house when I finish in the navy. If it's a no go, then I'll look into becoming gas safe certified myself.
Many thanks for reading this.

from looking at the rules in the past, it may not be illegal either being as its not being don under the definition of work and the fact his skills exceed ours on most fronts.

This argument gets trotted out time and again. GSIUR part b.

PART B GAS FITTINGS – GENERAL PROVISIONS

Qualification and supervision

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

Mentions nothing about payments or lack thereof.

payment comes under the definition of work :) fm memory. Can you define competence please John :)

love this thread already, so many grey areas. And did you all know that Greenwich university, once upon a time the RN staff college had its own nuclear reactor, in the middle of Greenwich that eco friendly, greenpeace anti nuclear local council place in London. You have never seen so many fire engines turn up for a faulty fire alarm, I lost count a 16 appliances within 10 minutes, that was one pig of a day to be the duty officer. I wonder if its been decommissioned now the RN has left.

You're not corroborating your own argument.

Competence comes with ccn1 and proven by registration as a gsr.

Where's the grey area?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the term 'work' meant paid work, surely it would say so, in the same way vehicle operators licences work, where they mention 'for hire or reward'. If you use an HGV privately, you don't need an O license for it.
The gas safety laws have been designed to keep people safe, if a DIY job doesn't come under the scope of the set of laws, then it's hardly keeping people safe.

The only grey area I can see is whether the guy is an @rsehole or a complete @rsehole.

poiuytr.png

the grey bit being your not allowed to carry out work unless competent and a member of a registered body.

work defined as paid

competence comes in many guises in law

registered body being gas safe. of course.

But in this case, the bloke would easly prove competence in his skills and ability, he isnt working, but of course not being registered wth gas safe isnt an issue if he isnt carrying out work as defined in the regs.

the grey bit being your not allowed to carry out work unless competent and a member of a registered body.

work defined as paid

competence comes in many guises in law

registered body being gas safe. of course.

But in this case, the bloke would easly prove competence in his skills and ability, he isnt working, but of course not being registered wth gas safe isnt an issue if he isnt carrying out work as defined in the regs.

Does this mean none GSR plumbers can charge for bleeding the radiators then give the customer a free boiler service? Is there a refund if we de-register part way through the year? No need to be registered after all! :party:

HE ISN'T COMPETENT! He might be in submarines but not the gas industry.

How many times Jon. It's black and white.

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

Leave it go now because I'm starting to get wound up.

hehehe need me on the other side of the fence John, just I know what the competences of these lads are from my previous life and also how poor our industry regs are defined. What you really need to do is send over a bottle of Irish, then I'd be a quiet bunny :)

hehehe need me on the other side of the fence John, just I know what the competences of these lads are from my previous life and also how poor our industry regs are defined. What you really need to do is send over a bottle of Irish, then I'd be a quiet bunny :)

But IF it does go off – it can take out more than one house, a street, a someone across the road. What are we gonna say here!? That’s cool, nothing to worry about – he was working (not paid) in his own house!? That’s not right!

Alex, that's the point I was making earlier.

I really feel that anyone encouraging illegal gas work (paid or unpaid, to remove any shadow of doubt) should have their registrations re-considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I fit a boiler, and then have it certified by a qualified gas fitter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back