Search the forum,

Discuss Can I close my bypass rad if I keep another open? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Beany_bot

Sorry for stupid question but if you don't know you don't know.

Can I turn off the 'bypass radiator" in the hall (has no TRV) as long as I keep another radiator, (any other, somewhere) open?

Or is this bypass radiator somehow plumbed differently and must never be closed?

Yes that’s fine if it’s one with a trv best to remove the head then you can shut it

Thanks, basically I moved the thermostat from the hall to the living room. The hall radiator is the only one without a TRV so was worried about closing it (don't want this rad on anymore, cost of living you know!) But two big rads in the living room will remain open at all times. Just don't want to break the pump or blow up the boiler! I guess the purpose of the "bypass rad" is just to ensure there is some sort of heat sink?

Exactly and for somewhere for the pump to pump when the trvs shut etc hence removing a trv head

On one rad yes think some models still have a max temp then they shut off so best to remove

On one rad yes think some models still have a max temp then they shut off so best to remove
Hmm, wouldn't know how to go about doing that, I assume the whole system would need depressurised? Fairly sure on the max setting it should be "always open". (this is the type I have)
Capture.PNG
But I don't know for sure about these things

Do you see below the openings there is a line bottom side turns eg undo it til it stops then hold the valve and lift / pull the top off might be tight so might need a wiggle

The valve is a danfoss ras c2

Ah I see, so if I take the plastic top off that will stop it closing ever? I just assumed the actual valve control was inside the brass gubbins. Didn't realise the "top bit" did the thermo stuff. So this is it fully and forever open now?
PXL_20220822_203001085.jpg

Last edited:
Ah I see, so if I take the plastic top off that will stop it closing ever? I just assumed the actual valve control was inside the brass gubbins. Didn't realise the "top bit" did the thermo stuff.

Correct

Yes

Reply to Can I close my bypass rad if I keep another open? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I recently bought a bunch of Drayton Wiser Smart TRV heads. I wanted to install them on all of my radiators so that I have full control of which radiators are on. However, it specifies in the instructions that one of the radiators should be left with 2 x open lockshield valves. Now...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock