Discuss can a log burner be fitted in a bedroom?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon F

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
went to price for an install today.
when I get there surprised to find it was to be fitted in the bedroom!
there is sufficient height on the chimney although I think the hearth would be an issue ( timber floor)

I dont want it, but anyway forget the 'why'
is it allowed?

I dont remember ever covering this?

wouldnt know of the rules, but if a gas fire has to have and oxygen depletion device fitted, can you achieve the same with a wood burner, obviously not, so would you have one in a room where you sleep?

It's still an area you live in, so a bedroom should be permissible for a log burner with usual rules applied. Although, the smaller stoves of, I think 5kw?, are supposed to not require air opening to outside, I would say it is essential BUT much better to have the stove to an outside wall with the vent to outside type.
Frankly it is silly and potentially dangerous. A child or someone that simply has breathing problems in that room is a risk.

would say no,also who wants a 100 cm2 (minimum size) vent in a bedroom

a vent in my room would be great at getting rid of the farty smell in the morning :)

the stove was less than 5kw,
the building ancient, so should not require a vent ( at least in the lounge that's the case)
it was just the concept of a fit to a bedroom??

I will call Hetas on Monday to get the definitive answer.

I don't think its sensible,
but I just can't remember seeing anything in print on this question.

the stove was less than 5kw,
the building ancient, so should not require a vent ( at least in the lounge that's the case)
it was just the concept of a fit to a bedroom??

I will call Hetas on Monday to get the definitive answer.

I don't think its sensible,
but I just can't remember seeing anything in print on this question.

building age wont come into it,will probably still need a vent,i take it your not hetas Simon ,hence the questions ,if not you will need building control to sign it off

You have to laugh though don't you? There has probably been a coal or wood fire in that bedroom since Shakespeare was doodling some ideas about a Danish prince on the back of an envelope.

And we come in all 21st century with our regs and our oxygen depletion devices.

You have to laugh though don't you? There has probably been a coal or wood fire in that bedroom since Shakespeare was doodling some ideas about a Danish prince on the back of an envelope.

And we come in all 21st century with our regs and our oxygen depletion devices.

but theres also a good chance of several Shakespearean ghosts haunting the room as well, having failed to wake up during a windy night...................

i look at the folk posting and the little tags by their name and find it all so frightening...hope Simons just having a bad day...me in trouble spos..sorry

Thanks for all the replies.
I wasn't having a bad day and am perfectly able to quote the regs/ADJ as to how a solid fuel appliance should be fitted.
Age of the builing as regards air permeability, if additional ventilation is needed to the adventitious and how to qualculate this. A CO alarm is mandatory.etc,etc

I suppose in the back of my mind I know there are very specific regs for gas appliances in a sleeping area, but I could not remember ever seeing anything similar for solid fuel.

Reason being, there is nothing in print.

The call to Hetas tech did provide some additional pointers that are not currently in print as the question is very rare.

Anyway a solid fuel appliance to be used properly and avoid issues with the chimney needs to be on for decent ammount of time and burnt at the correct temperature.
A bedroom installation (unless it is the only heat source) is likely to be used in a way that could well cause isses with sooting/taring of the chimney/flue.
So in most cases would not be sensible.

As identified above, it is not so much the positioning of the stove but the mode of usage that causes the problem. Many stoves will give an overnight burn but few are recommended to be used in this manner.
The Harmony 15 stove is rated for continuous burn and with it's remote control temperature sensor could suit the purpose, unfortunately this well made stove is going out of production.

As a student I remember sleeping in all sorts of single room damp welsh cottages with log firs, log stoves as the only sort of heating.

Not recommended, though not disallowed.

As for the CO alarm, we always fit mains powered ones (OK to take off the the lighting circuit, so long as it has permanent power) also I'd point out how critical testing it monthly is.. and point to all the CO poisoning deaths - the silent killer in your home.

mains powered alarms arent so good in student accommodation with card meters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can a log burner be fitted in a bedroom?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock