Discuss Can a 12kw boiler ever heat a 4/5 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

12kW seems low for the house you are describing unless it has had a lot of external insulation applied, which would be unusual and you haven't mentioned.
No special insulation. In fact, there is a overhang at the front and the rear of the house were kitchen and bathroom vents dispense air and I think THIS is the source of the cold loss on the ground floor.

Some just use rules of thump and oversize which doesn’t help did you work out if your rads are big enough?
I used an online calculator which never asked me about rads or even how many showers.
OK so with a 12kw condensing boiler with Modulation Controls (ability to control output) and PDHW (Priority Hot Water) and a low flow temperature (<55c) through the rads (am I speaking anyones lingo here?) with reference to the website "heating hub" which espouses low wattage boilers - that is how the plumber intends to achieve heating this house and supplying hot water to three showers rooms on a 12kw boiler. So a Vailant Vsmart for PDHW with outside temperature sensor.

This versus the traditional quote - actually from two other plumbers now - who both said 24kw boiler and 22m copper pipes to replace 15mm pipes.

So are they revolutionaries or is there a hidden snag here?

I used an online calculator which never asked me about rads or even how many showers.
OK so with a 12kw condensing boiler with Modulation Controls (ability to control output) and PDHW (Priority Hot Water) and a low flow temperature (<55c) through the rads (am I speaking anyones lingo here?) with reference to the website "heating hub" which espouses low wattage boilers - that is how the plumber intends to achieve heating this house and supplying hot water to three showers rooms on a 12kw boiler. So a Vailant Vsmart for PDHW with outside temperature sensor.

This versus the traditional quote - actually from two other plumbers now - who both said 24kw boiler and 22m copper pipes to replace 15mm pipes.

You've still not answered why the Same size output isn't being put back? Why not replace like for like. You're jumping from 24kw to 12. 18kw would be fine.

Also it's more than likely that if it's a 15mm gas pipe running down, it'll be 22mm in the ceiling above. So may not need replacing, or will just want dropping down in 22mm.

The snag is you'll be cold in the winter and have a limited supply of hot water.

If a qualified plumber specifies an undersized boiler it's their problem. If you choose your own using a free website and it's wrong it's your problem.

To answer your next question, expect a used 12kW boilers have a negative resale value. (No one will want it and you'll have to pay to have it taken out.)

The snag is you'll be cold in the winter and have a limited supply of hot water.

If a qualified plumber specifies an undersized boiler it's their problem. If you choose your own using a free website and it's wrong it's your problem.

To answer your next question, expect a used 12kW boilers have a negative resale value. (No one will want it and you'll have to pay to have it taken out.)

You should be staggering your hot water heat up times anyway so this shouldn’t be a problem

Also you don’t want to have an oversized boiler either

You've still not answered why the Same size output isn't being put back? Why not replace like for like. You're jumping from 24kw to 12. 18kw would be fine.

Also it's more than likely that if it's a 15mm gas pipe running down, it'll be 22mm in the ceiling above. So may not need replacing, or will just want dropping down in 22mm.
Hi - the plumber is saying 12kw will suffice and referring me to heating hub website too which espouses low wattage boilers.
I was fully expecting a like-for-like but other plumbers insist on increasing the size of the pipe from the mains - to draw more gas.
(I am listening/reading but I might not always understand the significance.) I think I would feel more comfortable with 18kw as a compromise.

Yes its all on the plumbers recommendation to go for 12kw with the Vaiilant Vsmart, not me. I'm merely trying to see why its contrasts so sharply with a lot of other recommendations. The free website just backs up what they are saying.

Yes, I could be lumbered with a buying a new boiler, I guess thats the worse case.

I was in a similar position last year. I’m a homeower not a gas engineer.

I tried several free heat loss calculators and preferred the MYSON Heat Loss Manager because it lists the heat loss in each room for each element: Glazing, External Wall, Floor, Roof Glazing, Roof and Ventilation.

I also measured all 13 radiators and looked up the heat output of similar radiators to determine the total heat output of my radiators with a 50 K Δt.

A 25 kW boiler was replaced by a 15 kW boiler. It was more than enough last winter.

Behind the front panel the Vaillant ecoFIT pure 625 appears the same as the Glow Worm Energy7 25S. The installation and maintenance instructions are largely identical.

Just a tip a condensing heat only should be sized at a delta t of 35 eg

65 + 45 / 2 - 21

Yes its all on the plumbers recommendation to go for 12kw with the Vaiilant Vsmart, not me.
My (mis?)reading of your earlier posts was that plumbers including BG had recommended 24kW and only your DIY calculation was 12kW and my earlier comments should be considered with that in mind.

Nonetheless, you did say that the lower floor of your house was 'cold' with your current 20kW boiler so in your position I'd want a credible explanation of how the 12kW system is going to fix this problem.

Another useful sanity-check in this sort of situation is to look at your winter gas bills for the last few years and see how many kWhr per day you have historically used on average to keep warm. Remember that the peak needed during the coldest few days will be significantly more than the average.

Reply to Can a 12kw boiler ever heat a 4/5 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Hoping to get some sound advice regarding combi boiler sizing for a large 3 Bed House. We are refurbishing the house and plan to strip...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope I post this in the right section. I bought a house couple of months ago. There was an old, broken back boiler installed in the...
Replies
Views
Hi Many years ago I upgraded my house to 3 showers, had a megaflow and worcester greenstar 24i fitted, and upgraded external connection coming...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1950's house which has a central heating system previously heated by a coal fired Rayburn which has been removed. We...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back