Discuss Business Success in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T & H Plumbing

Hi Chaps n Chapettes

Most of you work for yourself and most have started out from scratch
, starting out for the first time can be a lonely place whilst you build up your rep and customer base, my business advisor always told me when you first start out your business will go to a high level then it will plummet to another level and then your business will grow to a level and it's from that level you begin to build your business

I'm not sure how correct that bit of advice was but I took any advice on when I set out anyways, for all you established people out there my question is this from first starting up on your own how long did it take you to comfortably make a living?

Or should I say how long did it take you to realise you have made it to the next step and was confident you could sustain a growing business?

I know building a business will always be an ongoing project and nobody always gets to a point where they have 100% made it unless your that tool at plimlico anyways your thoughts would be intresting

started on my own September 2013. Made more money than i have ever earned working for a company in the first 9 months and keep getting better every day!

To the people that are afraid to jump in and go it alone .. DO IT! having a plan B means youre afraid of plan A .. jump in and go for it

started on my own September 2013. Made more money than i have ever earned working for a company in the first 9 months and keep getting better every day!

To the people that are afraid to jump in and go it alone .. DO IT! having a plan B means youre afraid of plan A .. jump in and go for it

Fair play to you. In my first year I wasn't 0 actually I paid to work lol. Things are already looking better for this year as I've taken half of what I did last year already so hopefully I might earn a few pennies! (Not if I keep messing up prices though lol)

As for having a plan B I've always had a plan of if it failed I would become a **** star, but my girlfriend tells me I will never make it as a **** star so I best keep working at plumbing lol.

Started the business in 2011, told my accountant how much I would take. He laughed and said everyone has a plan, year later I had made what I said I would. Every year has been a 10% increase on the last, so far so good

Never had a plan never will all i know is that out of the plumbers around here a good 60% a utter shambolic rubbish . Try rise above that carp and i should be o.k

Hi Chaps n Chapettes

Most of you work for yourself and most have started out from scratch
, starting out for the first time can be a lonely place whilst you build up your rep and customer base, my business advisor always told me when you first start out your business will go to a high level then it will plummet to another level and then your business will grow to a level and it's from that level you begin to build your business

I'm not sure how correct that bit of advice was but I took any advice on when I set out anyways, for all you established people out there my question is this from first starting up on your own how long did it take you to comfortably make a living?

Or should I say how long did it take you to realise you have made it to the next step and was confident you could sustain a growing business?

I know building a business will always be an ongoing project and nobody always gets to a point where they have 100% made it unless your that tool at plimlico anyways your thoughts would be intresting

in a nutshell (unless i am mistaken!)based on the criptic clue above............

untill you get your prices right and you no longer work for nothing ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just over 3 years for me to see a consist ant minimum wage and have the prospect of the company turn a profit in addition to paying my wage. Came around the same time I realised I have now worked for most of my customers annually for 3 years. Actually I am more proud that I gain and keep my customers than that I turn a profit now.

been about 10 years on my tod now, no matter how hard I work, she always manages to spend it!!!!!!!!!!

when you first start out your business will go to a high level then it will plummet to another level and then your business will grow to a level and it's from that level you begin to build your business

I recognise this, and have seen it hundreds of times.

Step 1. Plumber working for a company decides to go self employed.
Step 2. Whilst still employed, plumber does all the ground-work (gets van, deals with insurance etc)
Step 3. Whilst still employed, plumber lines up as much work as possible against the day that they go SE.
Step 4. HOORAY! Now Self employed
Step 5. Spend 3 months or so doing all the work lined up in Step 3. Completely forget that you also need to be getting NEW work in this period
Step 6. Work lined up in Step 3 now complete. Absence of effort to get new work in steps 4-5 now comes home to roost.
Step 7. Panic
Step 8. Gradually rebuild the business, or go back to working for someone else.

The problem with being self employed is that everyone thinks they know how to run a business, just like everyone thinks they are good at sex.

Professionals in both industries just sit there and laugh at the amateurs.

unless your that tool at plimlico

If you think that the most successful plumber in Britain is a tool, what is your aim in setting up your business? To make LESS money than Charlie Mullins?

Last edited by a moderator:
charlie mullins isnt the richest plumber in britain. The lad who started and sold Help-Link was originally a plumber and now lives in an enormous estate not far from my house.

I read his book on holiday and was very inspired by his story and attitude. The later chapters let him down though portraying himself as a self centred fame addict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Business Success in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for some advice on my little bathroom project. I took the bath out. I got a shower jacuzzi thing. The base has 2 wheels in the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock