Search the forum,

Discuss Built in gas meter boxes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know most of you have probably used these types of boxes recessed into brickwork . But have any if you used the spigot that comes with it on the already semi bored hole in the back of the box....?

The reason im askin i had one recently and SGN who are our new transco refused to fit the pipe to the box because there was a hole bored on the box, i told him i know if a box is damaged it cant be used but this hole isnt damaged , he tried telling me theres a law about the bored hole in box bein illegal,, i tried explaining to the guy that its a pre bored hole and once connected the hole will be siliconed round the pipe, he still refused ,, this turned into a huge debate , i phoned gas safe , local building control , council, even gov and no where could i find this law that the guy said, turns out SGN (scotia gas network) have implemented a new code of practise and that is a recessed box can be used but the gas pipe (my end) mustnt enter the building from the back of the box, Now this was a new build so the box was sealed into the wall, what we had to do was put a suface box next existing one and take the copper gas pipe which entered through the back of the box out the bottom then into the new one , it was an absolute carry on and wondered if any other guys have experienced this atall,

I done one on Wednesday in a new box used the popout and the sleeve in the back of the box no problem it was all moved because the old external box obstructed the customers drive they clipped it with the car

What i though was crazy is when i had my GSR visit one of the houses i took him to was the one in question , it was 1st fix stage so he saw my pipe , i know its not a law but this a hole from sgn basically refused to put the gas main in until we changed boxes, i even phoned his superior and found out its SGN code of practise so they basically had me over a barrel ,,,

What the hell is that about kris, what a jobsworth you had to deal with.
Can use the hole and sleeve in the back but not for medium pressure, that has to atleast drop outside the box below then into the property.
Not allowed to make any other hole in the box tho, classic is the electrician making a little hole in the back of the box for his earth to come through, even sealing that they dont accept.
Had two boxes that have had to be taken out and changed because of that reason.

SGNs argument is that once you bore the hole thats the box classed as damadged. But your right Rich just had to do wot they say. I think something mustve happened on one if there previous jobs (possibly leak at meter and entered house) just a guess.

Always use FJC to seal a sleeve. Fire resistant and inert. Silicone has acetates which are corrosive. Low pressure service use the provided sleeve through the rear knock out, secure with 3 screws. Medium pressure must exit the box externally before passing through the wall.

It's been in GIUIP for ages. It's classed as cavity as any leak in that box fills void behind box or the wall cavity. It's AR if no putty, no cone, cone not screwed in, earth cable drilled through box wall (should use sleeve - instructions on box)

Yeh but i never even got that far as SGN will not fit gas main if the sleeve is bein used. Theyre tryin to say that using the sleeve that comes with the box classes the box as damaged.

SGN creating their own rules now?
I understand using a recessed box is not advised, but if it is properly sleaved and sealed at both ends then the chance of a leak entering the prem from the box is neglegable. And permitted under regs obviously.
SGN doing their own thing now! Is this policy UK wide or just SGN?

SGN creating their own rules now?
I understand using a recessed box is not advised, but if it is properly sleaved and sealed at both ends then the chance of a leak entering the prem from the box is neglegable. And permitted under regs obviously.
SGN doing their own thing now! Is this policy UK wide or just SGN?

Just SGN graham after loads of too and fro i found out thats its just a code of practice they have . Unfortunately the box n pipe was already built in to brickwork as it was a new build. But il know next time..... booogers

I think best and easyer will be as said before , do as they wish and have it sent written on paper or email from SGN and move on :)

I think best and easyer will be as said before , do as they wish and have it sent written on paper or email from SGN and move on :)

Cheers stan defo will.

Was it a medium pressure service pipe?
The outlet pipework on those can't exit through the back of the box.

Was it a medium pressure service pipe?
The outlet pipework on those can't exit through the back of the box.
As for mentioned in post 13. Mot likely excuse for refusing, and sound judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Built in gas meter boxes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Thanks for taking a look at this. I currently have a massive condensation patch on the inside of my wall behind my gas meter (Pics attached.) The box lock is damaged and the seal around the enclosure has perished so ideally I would like to replace the box, however my understanding is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am having an on-going battle with my energy supplier trying to get a smart gas meter. I have a Landis &gyr installed which was a replacement for a faulty meter about 3 years ago. The installer at the time told me it was not a Smart meter. The energy company is insisting its a SMETS1 -...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There is currently a 28mm gas pipe from meter to the boiler which is approx 25m and a further 5m to the gas cooker. My gas engineer is saying that the...
Replies
Views
I had a boiler check today all went well, and then he went to check on the gas meter which is in my larder in the kitchen high up on the wall. That wasn’t too much of an issue, although the gas engineer did say that it wasn’t a common place to have it, but it was there when we moved in so...
Replies
Views
I took the boxing out from around this toilet yesterday to find this old style clay(?) or concerete (?) soil pipe. The existing toilet has a 90 deg spigot on the back but obviously the replacement is a nomal modern one. Can I just break the solid seal around the old spigot, whip it out and then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock