Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss budget boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

itspaul

Gas Engineer
Hi there was wondering which boilers would from the budget range would you recommend or not as the case may be as i have a customer who hasnt got worcester bosch or vaillant money to spend ? i usually fit the latter as i have never had problems with them but its nice to know whats good and bad in the cheaper end of the market thanks for any input

how much do they have to spend?

the purpose of the question was to identify which boilers which are not from the perceived "quality" manufactures but are reliable and offer good value for money the amount they have to spend isnt really relevant as i could fit it for nothing ..

I fit the good old glow worm flexicom, love the fact they have a rear flue and can go into a kitchen unit! Plus never had any problems in the 6 years I've been fitting them

the purpose of the question was to identify which boilers which are not from the perceived "quality" manufactures but are reliable and offer good value for money the amount they have to spend isnt really relevant as i could fit it for nothing ..

It is relevant if they need a 35 kw boiler, but don't have ÂŁ800 for a Logic+

I like the potterton Gold range of boilers in my rental properties

good value boilers

Jay

Ideal logic +. 7 year warrenty. Nice to fit an problem free!

pointless if they go bust in next year, like most companies these days. also why would you recommend a boiler that means you wont be back for 7 years?

pointless if they go bust in next year, like most companies these days. also why would you recommend a boiler that means you wont be back for 7 years?

You will be back. To service it. What kind of attitude is that? Lol

You will be back. To service it. What kind of attitude is that? Lol
well that is only ÂŁ100 a year, if they go wrong 2-3 times a year, you get ÂŁ500-600 per year, its a business attitude, if all your customers are on a 7 year guarantee, you will be relying on new customers all the time. if all customers are on 2 year guarantee then you will be going back 2 years later.
(remember I am not gas safe and have no personal experience of this)

Fitting a boiler with a half decent warranty of 5 years plus Is about
Building a relationship with your customers. It is offering piece of mind.
Also a boiler isn't the only thing a plumbing and heating engineer can fix in a domestic household. Look after a customer and you will get all their plumbing work bathroom refit etc

fair play, not being rude, just never understand why people put boilers with 5-7 year guarantee

well that is only ÂŁ100 a year, if they go wrong 2-3 times a year, you get ÂŁ500-600 per year, its a business attitude, if all your customers are on a 7 year guarantee, you will be relying on new customers all the time. if all customers are on 2 year guarantee then you will be going back 2 years later.

See how many new customers get recommendations for you when you're getting a rep for unreliable boiler installs. I'd rather make my money a better way than selling sub standard products.

What boiler would you recommend jase? I like to give my customers peace of mind and value for money. I'd rather get future business from their friends and family than be back repairing a ÂŁ499 combi coz it was on special offer. So what do you fit?

as said before, not gas safe. but from recommendation from other gas engineers, worcester bosch or cheap would be potterton or ideal.

would never fit vaillant as the ones I have seen have always leaked or broke

Jase you said you would fit something that you could get future work from? So surely leaks are a good thing?! Worcester also carry a long warranty. And the cheap boiler you recommend is an.... Ideal?!

worcester bosch are only 2 years on some of them..
and I never said that I would fit ones that had small guarantee, simply asking why people fit boilers with such long guarantees

People are looking more and more at value for money these days. Money is tight and they want the best deal for their hard earnt cash. The long warranty can really sell the job. I also know that I will get future servicing and normally future work from the family tree.

Customer confidence. Your offering the customer 7 years of worry free heating and hot water as long as it's serviced every 12 months.

do most customers understand that the boiler companies come out and fix the boilers themselves or are most suprised that these companies have there own engineers

Yeah it's PARTS AND LABOUR most understand that and seem happy with it. They are also made aware that this is only valid if the boiler is serviced yearly and not all actually bother.

lets face it. The reality is we are not that fussed by a 7 year warranty. This is a new trend because all the manufacturers are really struggling with sales through the recession and a lot of the boiler use the same parts and similar designs so on paper there isn't much between them all., plus condensing technology is still fairly new so a lot of mistakes have been made in the last 7-8 years, and along with it quite a bit of damage has been done to manufacturers reputations.

As an installer, a long warranty may be a key selling point. If you can offer a boiler with a longer warranty than your competitor it puts you in a better position. It's more a case of offering the best there is to offer.

If all the manufacturers dropped there warranty to 2 years, 99% of installers wouldn't be disapointed.

Last edited:
also, you say about vaillant always leaking. I serviced a 15 year old condensing boiler VU-186 ecomax the other day. Way, way before it's times and still going strong. O.k it's had a few parts in it's life, but some manufacturers have struggled to get 5 years out of the condensing boilers 10 years later

I think that is what really counts, the life of the boiler, but its like anything, you could buy 2 identical boilers and 1 needs replacing after 2 years and the other lasts 25 years. Its all a bit of luck and looking after your boiler.
Just out of curiosity I have been asked recently about boilers costing less, does anybody know if there is a difference between new condensing boilers with open vented system (not sure what this is called) and a new combi?

The longer warranty gives me confidence in the boilers, I would never have given the logic a chance if not for the 5 year warranty, but if the industry standard dropped back down to 2 years, I wouldn't be fussed.

The longer warranty gives me confidence in the boilers, I would never have given the logic a chance if not for the 5 year warranty, but if the industry standard dropped back down to 2 years, I wouldn't be fussed.

Which is exactly the reason they had to offer it after the isar/icos, they set the benchmark and all the others had to follow suit!

I can't believe someone got so much front:IT IS NOT A BUSINESS ATTITUDE, IT'S A FRAUDULENT, IMMORAL , DISHONEST,way of doing business, a customer pays for your professional advice and you should give him the best advice as possible not necessary the cheapest or the most expensive way out. You engineers are the expert and you don't work for the glory you must make a licit profit.
ggman

Why would I offer my customers an inferior product? The premise of going back more often to make repairs is a sure fire way of getting a bad reputation. If we all thought like that we'd have been recommending isars all the time and look at the reputation that the warmfront scheme got .

I've fitted over 50 Logic plus's.. Two of those had problems with which Ideal came out next day & sorted.. One was an O ring the other a divertor valve problem..
Easy to fit, British company with a good after sales service..
For me the 7 year warranty for that price is unbeatable value..

If you for a dud cheap boiler and it goes wrong continually over time and you recommended it do you not think the customer will lose confidence in what your saying as you re commended it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to budget boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock