Discuss BS5871 Part 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alice

Please can anyone give me some advice on BS5871 Part 1?

I have a 5.5kw gas fire installed approx 18 months ago in a 100 year old, property....do I need to have a vent/air brick to be compliant?

your installation manual should give you the answer if the installer left it behind as they should

Please can anyone give me some advice on BS5871 Part 1?

I have a 5.5kw gas fire installed approx 18 months ago in a 100 year old, property....do I need to have a vent/air brick to be compliant?

Thank you for the quick responses. :)

It's a Firefox 5. The installer did leave the manual, but in the ventilation section, it just says to refer to BS5871 Part 1

oi, I was trying to help the lass, normally around page 2 or 3 it tells you no additional ventilation required, blinkin commercial techies :)

It's a Firefox 5. I do have the manual, but it just says to refer to BS5871 Part 1.

I don't normally deal with domestic fires Alice, as Mr Grumpy just alluded, but there is a threshold at which additional ventilation is required. Your fire is below that threshold.

Don't forget it'll need servicing just like any other heat producing appliance.

Our pleasure entirely.

Do you ever get ribbed about going to Buckingham Palace with Christopher Robin?

Ventilation.
Normal adventitious ventilation is usually sufficient to satisfy the ventilation
requirements of this appliance. In GB reference should be made to BS5871 Part 1
and in IE reference should be made to the current edition of IS 813 “ Domestic gas
installations” which make clear the conditions that must be met to demonstrate that
sufficient ventilation is available.
An extractor fan may only be used in the same room as this appliance, or in any
area from which ventilation for the appliance is taken, if it does not affect the safe
performance of the appliance. Note the spillage test requirements detailed further on
in this manual. If the fan is likely to affect the appliance, the appliance must not be
installed unless the fan is permanently disconnected.

oops page 13, clear as a bell, adventitious ventilation will apply if you have a nice big room, just begs the question, why are you asking at this stage down the line?

Our pleasure entirely.

Do you ever get ribbed about going to Buckingham Palace with Christopher Robin?

Just coz Snow White sacked you for being overweight, dont go getting personal with the girls :)

The manual states ''advantageous air'' is all that is needed,so you not need an air brick or vent for this appliance in normal installations,any reference to BS5871 Part 1 would have been taken into account automatically by the installer,as long as the installer was gas safe.if you have any quires about the installation,just contact the installer and am sure they can put your mind at rest
I would add the appliance should be serviced every year an as in has been in now for 18 months,you should get it checked and would also advise that you think of investing the small amount required to purchase a co2 alarm as previously advised

Last edited by a moderator:
The room is only 11ft square ( approximately), would this still be ok, as quite a small room?

If the flue does not draw very well. It will need one fitted.

why are you asking after 18 months.? Has an engineer advised?

knew that one was coming, as above, if it fails a smoke test vent the room

It's all working fine, but we're moving, and it's come up on a report :(

Due to the size of the room, it would therefore be best to get someone to check it?

And also make sure you have a suitable carbon monoxide alarm fitted appropriately

When the fire was installed your room size and the output only 5.5 kw then no ventilation needed but now it's been in for couple years nearly an engineer may advise additional ventilation to adhere to safety aspects and best to comply.

BS 5871 is a british standard and covers the selection of a suitable appliance, the ventilation and flueing requirements, and other measures necessary to ensure a safe installation.

Due to the size of the room, it would therefore be best to get someone to check it?
When appliance was installed it should have been tested as per the gas regulations & manufacturers instructions. If all tests are good your fire generally does not require purpose provided ventilation.
If unsure have a qualified gas engineer to test and make sure manufacturer instructions are to hand for Engineers reference.

Alice most of the so called experts who do "reports" are clowns. Retrained from motorola or wherever else they were made redundant from before they decided to get into their game. Unfortunately for you through his lack of knowledge (the room size is irrelevant) he has now flagged something up which will require you to get it checked by an RGI.
Don't pay any more than £60 and happy new house when you get it :smile:

As your selling up its advisable to get gas safety checks done on all fixed gas appliances with a gas certificate to prove all is correct and safe to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BS5871 Part 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction...
Replies
Views
Hey folks, I'm wondering if someone could possibly help, I'm looking for a possible part number b4 I call ideal in the morning, I fitted an...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi to all, I have bought a new radiator as replacement for old one. After installation by plumber, the new radiator is heating up only to 1/3...
Replies
Views
Hello - I have installed a garden sump-pump. In the photo you can see that I’ve replaced the Cloakroom-sink bend that previously went to the...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock