Search the forum,

Discuss Broken Stock cock handle . in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey all,
Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would expect and the engineer broke of the handle. Luckily it seems you can close the valve with some pliers on the but I don't believe this is best for long term solution for a older woman.

Video link: View: https://youtu.be/ek2F3c_GbVY?si=dXXtN-8doWrX9wyH

I wanted to know a couple things:
1) The end does look threaded, can you just thread back in an handle or is this not possible (apologies as I thought video captured the end but due to limit space I could quite get in)

2) If the above can't be done, what is the easiest option to get a working stopcock with a handle in place, as it seems to change it for another stopcock is going to be some messy wet work so if there has been some new changes to what I would think is fairly common, that are just better practices please inform me.

3) I did notice, high up on the piper work (so before the stopcock) their are some isolation valves on the hot and cold pipes. Could these be used as a.means to isolate the water into the like a stopcock or would it not work.

I don't think the engineer broke the handle. It just looks like it's missing. The end of the spindle has flats , is internally threaded, and appears undamaged. Nothing has broken off. Surely all you need is a replacement "T" handle of the correct size to fit the flat(s) on the spindle, and a screw to go in the end to keep it on!
(the replacement handle has to mate with the flats on the spindle adequately, otherwise a new handle will just slip round without turning the spindle)
Are you sure the original handle (and screw?) has not fallen on the floor underneath?
Worst case you could try to find a similar stopcock and swap the handle over.

Hey pal, thanks for getting back to me, based.from my mother's words he tried to turn of the water and the handle broke and some water was coming out, but again my mother is not the best at explaining things and I wasn't there. I do agree with you and hopefully this may work. You wouldn't happen to know if they do kits for this and what they are called if they are?

I Had another look at the video and I can't see anything missing or disturbed with that stopcock. I can't see that a plumber has even worked on it - maybe the leak came from somewhere else?
That stopcock seems to have a 22mm (or could be 1" imperial) compression inlet and 15mm out, so it's not the run-of-the-mill type you buy from Screwfix. Also it could be old enough that the thread for the valve part (if you tried to remove it, which I don't advise) is different to what is used today, so a replacement valve assembly from new stopcock might not screw in properly and be leakproof.

To get a replacement handle, you could buy a new stopcock, e.g. from Screwfix (£4.79), and take the handle off it and see if it will fit. I don't guarantee it will. Or you could go to a plumbers merchant and see if they can help with a replacement handle. I'm not aware of any kits you can buy, or even any outlet that sells just the handle (and I guess you will need the screw if you don't have a collection already!) Maybe someone here can suggest a source?

If a simple handle swap doesn't work, I think you need to find a proper plumber who knows what they are doing.
There is scope for making a mighty mess here, and there's a chance of not having all the right bits to hand when you take it apart.

The first part of this might be worth a look!
View: https://youtu.be/iLM7sRfTcpw?si=olInPCmoirek2lEf

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response I do understand what you mean, I will probs try a few stop cocks and see if I can just get the handle off and replace over.

I did see this product called the Aladdin valve, what's your take on them if you ever come across them? Do you think it could be a better future upgrade for thenlong term?

I did see this product called the Aladdin valve, what's your take on them if you ever come across them? Do you think it could be a better future upgrade for thenlong term?
I'm not a professional plumber and I haven't used the Aladdin valve, or seen them other than on various YouTube videos!
I know the DIY washing machine valves that pierce the pipe are not well liked by professionals, not least because they can restrict the water flow. But the Aladdin doesn't suffer from that problem.
If the existing stopcock can't be made to work adequately, the Aladdin could be the way ahead. I think it requires a bit of bravery, and checking that the water can actually be turned off in the road if a problem arises!
Good luck!

Reply to Broken Stock cock handle . in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock