Discuss Broken 2 circulating pumps today!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hey fellers, well this is a bad day for me. Last night, my pump starting screeching. So today i have been going around the house trying to solve the issue. Is it air? Is it the impeller or what?

Well. first things first, i back filled the system from the mains, then the pump starting screeching. Then i hear a dripping noise. Look and the cold feed where an elbow was was leaking. So i go to grab it, and it comes off right into my hands. Straight out the soldered joint.

So, thought that was maybe the problem, turns out not so.

So i take the pump apart, and the bearings in the back are all corroded. Well, the whole back where the bearings are cased is corroded. So I go and buy a circulating pump, put it on speed 3, then tried it on speed 1, all of a sudden, it is dead. I can not seem to get it to work again. The live coming from it at all.

So, i think it is faulty, take it back and get the same pump again, so put it on 3,turn it off and then try on number 2. The same thing happens. It just wont work. I cannot seem to get any power to it or from it to get the boiler to fire. The boiler seems all ok.

So now, all shops are closed until the morning, and I am out of heating and hot water. Grr

Any ideas why these pumps are doing this?

Cheers fellers

When you say you can't any power from the pump I need a little clarification.

Can you get power to the pump? Are you checking with a meter?

As danny says you must measure resistance across the pump.

sure you have just not blow a fuse or tripped breaker in consumer unit,always check the simple things first,has your lass unplugged heating to plug in tree lights

:tongue3:

What boiler do you have??

Has the boiler overheated and needs resetting?

More info regarding boiler and type of system reqd to help any further.

wow, so much info. Basically, i have a main he central heating boiler. So open vented. All stats are calling for heat, boiler says its on, but the pump does not fire up. I have not checked for resistance with a multimeter. Just been using a neon screwdriver. All fuses are on and so on.

The pump works fine when on speed 3, but i thought it might be drawing a lot of air in as who ever installed the system here, cockled it up. The boiler is in the kitchen, then the flow and return go up into the roof space and down to the airing cupboard. The pump is actually pumping in the south direction on the flow. With the vent, cold feed and air vent right above it. So, i thought this must be what is causing air in the system.

So, as the pump had been working in this position for some time, i thought for a quick fix, i would just do the same. And presto, the pump stops when reducing the speed.

I think it is the pump, as on the 1st pump i bought, i wired it to a bit of cable and a plug socket, and tried to run it in the sink. And nothing. So, this is why i think itis the pump. But why am i breaking it, just by reducing the speed????

drop feed? Whats that? F&E in the loft and drops into the vent pipe half way in the airing cupbaord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Broken 2 circulating pumps today!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock