Discuss british gas engineer/salesman in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many "quality used cars" that cost 3-4k would you expect to last more than 10 years? Most people wouldn't keep a new car 10 years let alone a used one. If they did by the time they come to sell it would lose more than the cost of a boiler installation in depreciation.

I never understand why people complain at the cost of something that is used more frequently than a car and is more essential to most people yet costs a fraction of the cost of a new car.
I have started using a similar tact when talking to people about maintaining their central heating or even upgrading. We all live in houses for two main reasons, to keep us warm and dry. Everything else is just a luxury, and that is how your priorities should be laid out. Most people ignore me though and just buy a bigger telly!

Your better off sticking whatever money you pay them each month into a pot. Then let it build up. When something goes wrong give a recommended local gas man a bell to sort your problems.
BG are just con men. They pay there blokes commission to sell goods that 9 times out of 10, people don't even need.

You are right to be wary, I would be too.
And Yet
Everything the BG guy said could be true.

Best thing is to get second opinion from independent GSR engineer.

The fact that new boilers, which are "state of the art" are only lifed for 10 - 15 years is frightening, In 4 homes I've owned, all the boilers were over 15 years old. My current one is nearly 20. My inlaws have a Potterton, that was serviced last week.......23 years old LOL
Items are manufactured to a "life" these days. I'm a Maintenance Engineer, in the glass industry, it's amazing how many items over the last 10 years I've been there, actually give up at their approximate life ex date. Great earner for manufacturers though.
I'm sceptical of BG, and only 10 minutes ago, I booked for an assessment on Monday. :banghead:

Cheers

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get parts for nearly all boilers if you are happy to pay as they cost more as time goes in, hate to say it but parts center carries almost everything if you can face shopping there :)

you can get parts for nearly all boilers if you are happy to pay as they cost more as time goes in, hate to say it but parts center carries almost everything if you can face shopping there :)

and have enough time eg a day for someone to come down :D

BG are a business and as such want to make as much money as possible from its customers. It a common business goal :)

It sounds to me like the BG engineer fixed your problem (which you haven't actually explained what it was?) and offered you some best advice. It sounds like something has been lost in translation regarding your flue, as a change in regs would normally result in a Not to Current Standards warning notice being issued, very common as regs are constantly being amended. As for advising you that your boiler is on the reduced parts list - wouldn't you be annoyed if it came to the depths of winter and your boiler broke down and the part was no longer available and you hadn't been previously warned of this potential problem???

you are being taken for a ride..as most of their customers are..most pay u' and get robbed quite happily ...a small number ask questions ,as you have done

get an independant in ...amd cancel cover...what you save over ten years...have a good holiday on it ........

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to british gas engineer/salesman in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock