Search the forum,

Discuss Boilet gasket missing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

C

Chris1

Hello, I have 22 year old water tank boiler in a rented house. While the burner was lit yesterday I smelt a very faint smell of gas. It was confirmed it was leaking only when heating up, and yesterday the gas engineer found there was no gasket under the burner.

It could have been like this years, so I wanted to know if a boiler missing a gasket like this would always leak gas? And although in seemed to only be a small amount that couldn't be smelt from outside the boiler cupboard, could a leak like this on a long term basis cause health issues?

Thanks for your time

Before we can start giving information/opinions we need to know exact make and model of boiler. What did your engineer say when you asked them?
Thank you, it's a powermax range 140. They said it may have only just started leaking, and it was an electrode gasket that was missing and this was the cause of the leak. Is it possible for a boiler to not leak gas with a missing gasket?

If you couldn't smell the gas it won't have done you any harm. Even at high concentrations it's considered non-toxic but will act as an asphyxiant. You can smell gas at concentrations of around 0.1% in air but it is not fatal (mouse, LD50) until the level reaches roughly 50:50 gas:air. (Assuming it gets to that level without exploding)

Having spoken to the boiler company I finally have the full picture. The boiler is a powermax range 140. The gas leak was from the electrode and they have confirmed is was when looking at this they discovered there was no burner gasket, and hasn't been for years. It has passed every yearly service and gas safety check for the last few years despite unknowlingly having no gasket. I can't see how this is possible but sounds like it has been safe in the past despite the missing gasket as no carbon monoxide or gas leaks were detected during those visits. Does this sound right. Thank you for any input, I am very worried as have been living here for many years.

If you think the boiler was leaking products of combustion including carbon monoxide then my reassuring comments about natural gas, which is what you seemed to be concerned about, are true but irrelevant. Here's the NHS website about CO poisoning:

IMO, it's unlikely to have been a problem for you given your description of the circumstances.

Reply to Boilet gasket missing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock