Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler upgrade, is it possible ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have just joined up to ask about a boiler upgrade.

I have an Ideal Mexico RS60 P boiler that has never given me any trouble apart from the occasional therm-ocoupling replacement, I understand it is an ancient boiler that has a simple cast iron tank that is heated by a burner and a pump that circulates the water, no fancy electronic circuit boards to break down.
We live in a single story stone built cottage and the pipework to the radiators is under the concrete floor in ducts that have a light skim of concrete over vermiculite.
I reckon this boiler runs at about 70% efficiency .
Question is can it be replaced with a like for like boiler that is more efficient or will I need to have the whole system and pipework ripped out and replaced with a more modern system.

We also have a solid fuel wood burning boiler an Ellis Sykes CH Super 80 that we can switch over to running on the same system which I imagine would have to be sacrificed if we had to have a more modern system.

Both systems heat the water both when the pump is on or off, but the water heats quicker when it is off.

I hope I have made myself clear :)

Thanks.

Hi I have just joined up to ask about a boiler upgrade.

I have an Ideal Mexico RS60 P boiler that has never given me any trouble apart from the occasional therm-ocoupling replacement, I understand it is an ancient boiler that has a simple cast iron tank that is heated by a burner and a pump that circulates the water, no fancy electronic circuit boards to break down.
We live in a single story stone built cottage and the pipework to the radiators is under the concrete floor in ducts that have a light skim of concrete over vermiculite.
I reckon this boiler runs at about 70% efficiency .
Question is can it be replaced with a like for like boiler that is more efficient or will I need to have the whole system and pipework ripped out and replaced with a more modern system.

We also have a solid fuel wood burning boiler an Ellis Sykes CH Super 80 that we can switch over to running on the same system which I imagine would have to be sacrificed if we had to have a more modern system.

Both systems heat the water both when the pump is on or off, but the water heats quicker when it is off.

I hope I have made myself clear :)

Thanks.

Yes you could change the boiler like for like

At the moment sounds like gravity hot water and pumped heating,

the system would have to be brought upto current spec in regards to port valves and room stat / time clocks

But could be done

1. You don't need to replace the radiators and pipework when you replace the boiler. There may be relatively minor issues in making connections, and its possible that some of the pipework is imperial. However, this can all be overcome.

2. If you were to replace with a sealed system (no feed and expansion tank in the loft) you might want to give consideration to replacing the radiators and pipework, as they will be under increased, but not seriously high, pressure. This could show up existing weaknesses, but the probability is that it won't .

3. Any new boiler will have to be a condensing boiler, which means an additional pipe (white plastic) to carry away the condensate to a drain. Running this pipe could be an issue, but you can get pumps to help if necessary.

4. If you go for a "heat only" boiler, this would essentially be a direct replacement for the Ideal Mexico. I don't see why the wood burner couldn't be incorporated with the right safeguards.

5. Your boiler may not be very efficient (70% may be a bit on the optimistic side), but you'd need to save a lot of gas to pay for the new boiler. I'd be tempted to get it serviced, and if the engineer is confident its got, say, five years life in I, but some spare thermocouples and keep it a few more years.

Of course its possible mate the whole system will need upgrading, change all the radiator valves a least , fit a new pump, 2 new zone valves and change the cylinder at the same time a new cylinder stat and twin channel programmer, keep your tanks drain em down give em a good clean and replace the ball valves then you will be sorted ,worcester still do a floor standing boiler so worth considering cheers kop

What is your reason for changing it, is it purely due to efficiency?

If it is, I wouldn't bother !

Thanks for all the advice, the reason I had for upgrading was to have a more modern boiler for when the time comes to sell up which might not be too far away in the future, but having considered the advice I have had I think I might just leave that decision to the next occupants !.

Thanks for all the advice, the reason I had for upgrading was to have a more modern boiler for when the time comes to sell up which might not be too far away in the future, but having considered the advice I have had I think I might just leave that decision to the next occupants !.

Good decision.

... a more modern boiler for when the time comes to sell up which might not be too far away in the future, but having considered the advice I have had I think I might just leave that decision to the next occupants !.

Good call, leave it to the next guy to pay for a new one. I doubt that "nice boiler" comes very high up on the list of most house-buyers' priorities.

I, for example, am extremely proud of my new Amendment 3 Hager consumer units fully-loaded with RCBOs on every circuit. Really nice but when I tried telling the wife how great they were and that they would increase the value of the house she gave me a withering look and said, "Nobody cares about the fuse box." :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler upgrade, is it possible ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock