Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
Can anyone help me to explain the various stages of a professional boiler service?
Especially how to get the various operating pressures and burner pressure.
Is the operating pressure and working pressure the same thing?
I completed my gas course nearly a year ago and now starting to do some work for my portfolio and feeling a little bit rusty.
Many Thanks
Mirko

Why not ask the Gas Safe Registered engineer that you are shadowing!

Some books say that the working press at the meter should be 21 mbar plus or minus 1 and other books say that it should be 21 plus or minus 2.
Which is the correct?
Thanks

To be fair different boilers need different levels of servicing. A new condensing combi with a sealed chamber may not need the burner cleaning whereas an old ideal classic will need the burner dropping out and given a good going over, checked for cracks etc. All your basic checks need doing on all boilers though just to comply with your 26:10 checks. I'd just wait till tour out with your engineer though, you can be told all the information in the world but nothing is better than actually doing it yourself and being talked through something whilst being shown.

Good luck with your portfolio

Tom

Confused, I thought you had to do the portfolio in order to get onto a gas course???? Seems strange that you did your gas course and now you are looking to do your portfolio?

Confused, I thought you had to do the portfolio in order to get onto a gas course???? Seems strange that you did your gas course and now you are looking to do your portfolio?

most courses are a mix of practical and theory to build up both sides of experience at the same time, and i think that is the best way, however you can do all your theory or all your porfolio then the other, so it is possible to do all theory then start portfolio, you just cant sit the exam until the portfolio is good enough

Wow, so any tom dick or harry can wake up and think " I think I'll be a gas engineer", call a college, pay and then do the course.

I find it bewildering, the OP did his course a year ago, no offence intended to the OP but he has now started to do some work for his portfolio after a whole year, has clearly forgotten some of the basics and is now struggling.

This to me merely highlights the farce that is the gas industry. It raises many questions such as why is the GSR engineer he is shadowing not answering these questions and getting him through his portfolio? What books has the OP been given from college, as a read of his G1 book (assuming he has one) will give all the information he needs and also it makes one wonder who is actually benefiting from this process? It clearly is not the OP so it seems the training centre is the main winner as they are still getting plenty of cash through the door.

I can't wait to see the outcome of the GSR competence review they are currently undergoing, maybe in a couple of years getting a gas card will be as easy as applying for a credit card.

I serviced a boiler yesterday did all the usual and found 10mb at the boiler also 10mb at the meter (working pressure) long story short, Drive up, road up to find a crushed / squashed gas service - national grid guys were spot on
Not even 24 hours after, new supply installed.
Apart from a few holes in the ground jobs a good un
Now try and include that in aboiler service

My tutor was always on about 26/9 so that is how it has stack in my mind Tom

the other one I love is work smarter not harder

his name is Ian he is unbelievably good tutor he just knows how to make you listen and memorised the info he is giving you

"(26/9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately
thereafter examine -
(a) the effectiveness of any flue;
(b) the supply of combustion air;
(c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;
(d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,
and forthwith take all reasonably practicable steps to notify any defect to the
responsible person and, where different, the owner of the premises in which the
appliance is situated or, where neither is reasonably practicable, in the case of an
appliance supplied with liquefied petroleum gas, the supplier of gas to the
appliance, or, in any other case, the transporter."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the problem with plumbing and heating , i can spend months not touching gas but doing drainage then i end up back on gas and have to get my head in my viper again. Works both ways tho get back into swing of things with gas and end up plumbing trying to remember regs .

do re read the regulations

Just because you don't recognise the nomenclature of the individual regs doesn't mean you don't know the content of the regs.

It is important to know to check after work/service that:

1. Flueing is satisfactory
2. Ventilation is correct
3. Operating pressure/Heat input
4. Safe function of a boiler

But it is not important to know which chapter and verse it is. You can always look that up. IMHO...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock