Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Pilot Flicking On/Off in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, hoping for some advice about our boiler. Its started struggling to fire on occasion and I was wondering if it was on the way out, needs a part repairing or being affected by the cold weather for January.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Potterton Netaheat Electronic.

See the video of the pilot going on and off here.

Cheers
James

Hi all, hoping for some advice about our boiler. Its started struggling to fire on occasion and I was wondering if it was on the way out, needs a part repairing or being affected by the cold weather for January.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Potterton Netaheat Electronic.

See the video of the pilot going on and off here.

Cheers
James
Any idea how old it is?

Might be worth getting it replaced. Compared to 30 years ago, if that is how old it is, the efficiency of boilers I assume would have improved greatly. So the cost of replacing it may pay you back over the next 5 - 10 years.

(I'm not a Gas Engineer though so listen to the lads not me!)

I didn't know it was that old, but stand by my post.

I wouldn't change a boiler with that as the problem
The 1st nets heats were being installed when i was either still an apprentice or just after so early to mid 70’s a lot of parts for them are obsolete, some are reconditioned. It’s 30 plus years old and nowhere near as efficient as a modern boiler.

Thanks everyone. It seems to be a much better recently so hopefully it can limp on for a couple months and be replaced with the kitchen. I'm impressed it's still going, guess they don't build them like they used to.

I doubt it but is there much value in old but working boilers to anyone?

It's probably more like 35 years old, they were a bugger to fit. Its looks like it is definitely repairable, probably the solenoid on the pcb giving up, or less likely but could possibly be a flame rectification fault or even possibly a pressure switch. Refurbished parts are still available. The boiler was around 75% or more efficient when new, so if it has lost say 10% of it's efficiency, with a new boiler being (theoretically) 90% efficient and the average annual cost of gas, to heat your heating and hot water of around £550, with a 20% saving made of £110 a year, a new boiler would take 18 or 20 years to pay for itself, by which time you will probably have had to replace the boiler again. The figures used are not accurate, but do give a good indication of what to expect, in terms of savings made. Good luck.

It's probably more like 35 years old, they were a bugger to fit. Its looks like it is definitely repairable, probably the solenoid on the pcb giving up, or less likely but could possibly be a flame rectification fault or even possibly a pressure switch. Refurbished parts are still available. The boiler was around 75% or more efficient when new, so if it has lost say 10% of it's efficiency, with a new boiler being (theoretically) 90% efficient and the average annual cost of gas, to heat your heating and hot water of around £550, with a 20% saving made of £110 a year, a new boiler would take 18 or 20 years to pay for itself, by which time you will probably have had to replace the boiler again. The figures used are not accurate, but do give a good indication of what to expect, in terms of savings made. Good luck.
Cheers and thanks for the advice.

Reply to Boiler Pilot Flicking On/Off in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock