Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Flue rules - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rahul

Hello,

I am trying to replace a 21 year old G rated boiler in my Edwardian end of terrace house. The combi boiler is in the kitchen on the outer wall. The flue exits into the street on the other side.

The British Gas engineer who came by said that the flue was extending outside my property so it was breaking some new building regulations, therefore he could not replace my boiler with a new one. He said the flue pipe should be within 300mm of my property boundary, but since this wall formed the boundary of my end of terrace house, it is in effect outside my boundary and violating the rules. How is this applicable retrospectively if the house was built this way?

He is asking me to move all the plumbing to the other side of the kitchen so a new boiler can be fitted! This sounds a bit absurd to me. Any advise?

Regards,
Rahul.

First things first don't go with British gas, is that where the original boiler was located. Rules change and it may have been ok for the old boiler flue to terminate there, but the new flue can't due to it crossing the boundary as be said.

Last edited:
As its a combi and the major work to convert had been done why not move the boiler into the loft and exit the flue through the roof?

Extend the flue . Do not get british gas to throw it on the wall or help stink. Get an independent. Post in the looking for section. If you obtain planning permission it will be fine.

planners wont give permission, it comes under building regs and the rules say you cant, BG for once are correct in their opinion.

planners wont give permission, it comes under building regs and the rules say you cant, BG for once are correct in their opinion.

Thank you. But if the house was built this way in 1907, why am I being penalized now for not meeting building regs? How can they apply new building regs to properties retrospectively?

If you have consent to discharge over a boundary the regulation is dispensed? But like the right to light ( proximity of a building structure or obscure medium to a boundary?)

Thank you. But if the house was built this way in 1907, why am I being penalized now for not meeting building regs? How can they apply new building regs to properties retrospectively?

I've a sneaky suspicion your band G boiler wasn't installed at the time the house was built.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, what you have now doesnt meet current regs, therefore if you install a new boiler it cant go where the old one is, simples. Moses could have knocked your house up, it makes no difference.

You're replacing the boiler aren't you? How is that retrospective?

So the government is happy for me to continue to run a G rated boiler inefficiently but would penalize me for fitting a more efficient and safer boiler ( even though it won't look any different from the outside) Great. I don't see the point in even trying to ration with this logic. What a nice incentive to keep people inefficient!

So the government is happy for me to continue to run a G rated boiler inefficiently but would penalize me for fitting a more efficient and safer boiler ( even though it won't look any different from the outside) Great. I don't see the point in even trying to ration with this logic. What a nice incentive to keep people inefficient!

Stop being melodramatic. Rules change. Accept it.

Because there's nothing you can do about it except comply if you want a new boiler.

Oh go on then, just cos its you, you can do want you want.

Not.

Thats the rules. Keep your old boiler, its costing you the money.

Falls firmly in the categorie of asks question but only wants 1 answer. Begs the question why ask?

I feel your pain. I wanted to insulate my loft (and save the environment by doing so ) using loose asbestos insulation which I was going to blow in but apparently 'the regulations changed' Now I have to use rolls of loft insulation which is much more inconvenient, might not even bother!

*throws toys out pram because I didn't get the answer I want*. :frown2:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Flue rules - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock