Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Flue damged new soffit fascia boards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sva19

I have had new plastic soffit fascia fitted and my boiler in in my garage and the flue comes out the back of it.

See pic
IMG_1376.jpg picture by sva19 - Photobucket

Within one day of the new soffit fascia been installed it has already twisted / melted the soffit,

see pic.
IMG_1375.jpg picture by sva19 - Photobucket

I has originally just put a put a metal plate to protect it but it seems it does not healp. Right now I have put as much as I can - wood / mental/ brick to protect the soffit.

Is there some product out there that can protect the soffit from the heat of the flue?

Any advise on what I can do, don't want a large expense?

the first thing is remove everything you have put on the flue, you have just made it into an Immediately Dangerous situation, further advice will be posted as soon as everybody see's your photo's

Ok, I have remove all wood.

Ch is off at the moment and I will only put on for 15-20 mins in morning for hot water.

thanks

WEll unfortunately you need a gas Safe Engineer Immediatly !!!
Flue is too close to soffit . DO NOT USE.

excellent, might be you will have to get the soffitt installers back and put something else there,

Get a decent piece of stainless steel (1000mm/1 metre long) get it bent around fascias and gutters etc and fix it to the underside of the fascias!

Or get the company back who fitted the fascias and get them to sort it out!!

WEll unfortunately you need a gas Safe Engineer Immediatly !!!
Flue is too close to soffit . DO NOT USE.

This flue has been there since house built 20 years ago. When I had CH cover from Brit Gas they serviced it , no problem. They only gave advice to protect the wood of the fascia , where I di not a piece of metal .

The facia people should have realised, did it have a heat reflector on before?

I have called the fascia company to look at it. Should they be responsible for putting the right sort of fascia / protector where a flue is present?

I have got a stainless steel mental plate but not 1 meter long. I will suggest to fascia thet they need to cover the whole of the fascia/ soffit with 1 metre of stainless steel protector.

Do any one have any photos of where they is done, so I can get ideas?

your best bet is get the soffitt people back tell them it is a problem and let them sort it out, you have paid for a service and are not happy with it,

The heat guard is just the wired grill, this will not protect the heat?

Maybe the fascia company should of warned you that there could be a possible problem with the closeness of the flue, but i cant see it being the fascia company's problem, the flue has been fitted to close to the soffit from day 1, it should be 300mm minimum away, as i can see yours is only 200mm max!

Last edited by a moderator:
dont for get these are new and possibly bigger soffitts, if BG had a service contract for years we all know they will try and get out of everything, so I think this is down to the new installers.

The boiler flue looks like it was never within the recommended distances from day 1, it cant be the fascia companys fault! As for BG, they are the worst culprits for getting things wrong!

From the last 2 post if the flue is too close, what would I have to do get an engineer to lower the boiler and flue? Presume cost of this could be Hundreds of pounds?

If not fascia company problem, they may not do anything, could I as suggesteed by other posters, put a 1 meter stainless steel plate across the whole of the soffit and fascia board?

Does anyone have a photo of this type of protection so I can see what I may need to do?

image735.jpg This sort of thing

You should fit an aliminium shield at least 1m long to protect the facia from heat damage.

It is not the facia companys fault, they have done what you have paid them to do, nethier is it bg's as they have advised you that the area should be protected, it is the fault of the original installer, as he has ignored the manufacturers installation instructions.

All i am trying to say is its not the fascia companys fault that your flue is too close to the soffit, maybe they should of realised & warned you of possible problems or refused to take the job on in the first place. Yes it will cost you a few hundred pounds to lower the boiler & flue, plus repair the brickwork. You can try a heat deflector & hopefully this will stop any further damage.

Ecowarm has given you the basic idea of what is needed, it just needs a bit of adjustment to fit under and then around the soffit

It's not BG's fault. If it was too close to old soffits with no signs of heat damage its only ncs and the customer was notified about it. Now it would be AR as there are signs of heat damage, a correctly position heat shield will sort it. The facia company should have realised this could happen.

I have called the fascia company to look at it. Should they be responsible for putting the right sort of fascia / protector where a flue is present?

I have got a stainless steel mental plate but not 1 meter long. I will suggest to fascia thet they need to cover the whole of the fascia/ soffit with 1 metre of stainless steel protector.

Do any one have any photos of where they is done, so I can get ideas?

They have a duty of care to make sure any work they may carry out does not affect the safe operation of a gas appliance (whether they know it or not) so get them to sort it out.

tell them they have contavened Regulation 8 of the GSIUR (Gas Safety Regs) and could be liable for an unlimited fine if any damage or injury results from their alterations to the property, and it would be in their best interests to resolve the problem before you report them, they will say they dont know anything about the Gas Regs, tell them that is obvious from their shoddy work however ignorance of the Regs is no excuse, pressurise them and they will fit a suitable heat shield, dont move the boiler protect the plastic

told you sva19 you would get loads of advice as soon as they saw the photo's

tell them they have contavened Regulation 8 of the GSIUR (Gas Safety Regs) and could be liable for an unlimited fine if any damage or injury results from their alterations to the property, and it would be in their best interests to resolve the problem before you report them, they will say they dont know anything about the Gas Regs, tell them that is obvious from their shoddy work however ignorance of the Regs is no excuse, pressurise them and they will fit a suitable heat shield, dont move the boiler protect the plastic

Thanks so even if they done no gas work but just the fact they have alerted the property ( fascia boards) they still need to ensure regulations are adhered to I. E ensure flue and fascia is safe ???

Also some post mention stainless steel and some aluminium ? Which one is the best?
Thanks and Stani u right loads reply . These forum are wonderful places to gather advice

Thanks so even if they done no gas work but just the fact they have alerted the property ( fascia boards) they still need to ensure regulations are adhered to I. E ensure flue and fascia is safe ???

Also some post mention stainless steel and some aluminium ? Which one is the best?
Thanks and Stani u right loads reply . These forum are wonderful places to gather advice

this is a cut and paste from the regs:

Regulation 8 Existing gas fittings
(1) No person shall make any alteration to any premises in which a gas fitting or gas storage vessel is fitted if that alteration would adversely affect the safety of the fitting or vessel in such a manner that, if the fitting or the vessel had been installed after the alteration, there would have been a contravention of, or failure to comply with, these Regulations.

(3) In relation to any place of work under his control, an employer or a self-employed person shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) are complied with.

below is an explanatory note which goes with the reg:
It is recommended that a responsible person, eg a principal contractor, foreman, site manager or other person with overall control of the work, is nominated to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, compliance with regulation 8(1) and (2).

Can this type of flue not be extend slightly?

We used to extend them years ago by getting a bit fabricated up to suit. It would probably be frowned upon now tho and in any case it would not be suitable for this type of thing.

Stainless is best but aluminium plate will do the same job. It is just there to act as a heat shield. You don't want to use steel plate as it will rust.

Maybe the fascia company should of warned you that there could be a possible problem with the closeness of the flue, but i cant see it being the fascia company's problem, the flue has been fitted to close to the soffit from day 1, it should be 300mm minimum away, as i can see yours is only 200mm max!

if the existing soffit was damaged they should have noticed and alerted the customer, if it wasnt damaged they have created a danger by fitting a material too close to a flue, this is in breach of REG 8 of the GSIUR's and could lead the facia company to get into serious trouble as they have either ignored a fire risk, or created one where there wasnt one, (the original fascia could have had heat resistant paint on it, unlikely but possible) and either way there is no doubt the new stuff is heat damaged and is now ID

if the existing soffit was damaged they should have noticed and alerted the customer, if it wasnt damaged they have created a danger by fitting a material too close to a flue, this is in breach of REG 8 of the GSIUR's and could lead the facia company to get into serious trouble as they have either ignored a fire risk, or created one where there wasnt one, (the original fascia could have had heat resistant paint on it, unlikely but possible) and either way there is no doubt the new stuff is heat damaged and is now ID

The existing could have been AIB. The house looks around the right age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Flue damged new soffit fascia boards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock