Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler firing on and off all the time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red666

Hi

i posted this in plumbing sorry for the repeat.

I've an Ideal FF250, it fires up but then drops off and fires again straight away, I had a new pump fitted yesterday by the Gas board because it would only run on the top setting but its still doing the constant on and off, the GB man said he thinks the return pipe is blocking and recommended a power flush but my plan doesn't cover it!!!!! All 9 rads do get hot but then the downstairs ones go cool when the water comes on.

any ideas, is it worth giving the system a dose of fernnox f3?

Thanks<ok>

Putting a magnet over your pipe work could help indentify if it's full of iron oxide. How old is the system, what type of system is it?

Putting a magnet over your pipe work could help indentify if it's full of iron oxide. How old is the system, what type of system is it?

Thanks for the reply, it must be around 15yrs old, i get a magnet and test the pipe work thanks again

This is quite possibly a boiler fault, had this a couple of times on these. You need to get A decent engineer around to test some of the boiler
components. The part isn't very dear but that's about as much detail as I will go into.

typical British gas tactics, start with the powerflush which is a good earner and then go from there.

Last edited:
You cant say whats causing it unless you are there to do tests, it might be a boiler fault or it might be blockage, the magnet test is good but does not always work, I have cut pipes before to find them blocked solid after the magnet did not stick!
If you are on homecare with BG, call them back if they have not done tests on the boiler, thats what you pay for, if you get the same engineer and he/she does not do any tests and says it is blocked, ask for a second opinon, he might have done all the tests and you do need to have some sort of flush done.

Last edited:
Pump gone... Overheating.

Upstairs rads hot?
Downstairs ones not so?

Boilers reaching temp cutting out then firing up again?

Last edited by a moderator:

-----
ok tried the magnet there's no pull on the return side but there is on the flow side pipe about a foot before the pump.

Pump gone... Overheating.

Upstairs rads hot?
Downstairs ones not so?

Boilers reaching temp cutting out then firing up again?
---
New pump was fitted this wk.

All the rads are hot when just heating is on but when the hot water comes on the downstairs ones go , but the upstairs ones stay hot, the boiler is upstairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help the OP by all means but DO NOT be giving him advice inside the boiler.

Next time that happens this thread will disappear without a trace.

Use the magnet to check where the feed and vent are piped in... this is often where blockages if any occur!!

Help the OP by all means but DO NOT be giving him advice inside the boiler.

Next time that happens this thread will disappear without a trace.

------
Mr Moderator, please dont take this thread down!!! I would never dream in going into the bolier!!!!!

i'm more interseted in if what the British Gas man was right with the power flush and if i could do it with the fernnox

Use the magnet to check where the feed and vent are piped in... this is often where blockages if any occur!!

------
with the magnet sticking to the pipe a bit, would you recomened i use a system cleaner.

i'll be putting it in through the header tank, whats the best safest one to use?

------
Mr Moderator, please dont take this thread down!!! I would never dream in going into the bolier!!!!!

i'm more interseted in if what the British Gas man was right with the power flush and if i could do it with the fernnox

Good man, it'd be purely in the interests of keeping you, and anyone reading this in the future, safe.

------
with the magnet sticking to the pipe a bit, would you recomened i use a system cleaner.

i'll be putting it in through the header tank, whats the best safest one to use?

I personally use F3 but doesnt always work though depends how bad a build up there is!! Yeah drop it in the F+E tank.. Check you haven't got a primatic cylinder first though!!

I personally use F3 but doesnt always work though depends how bad a build up there is!! Yeah drop it in the F+E tank.. Check you haven't got a primatic cylinder first though!!
-----
primatic cylinder, i dont think i have, how do i find out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler firing on and off all the time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
Hi all...got some issues....drained my working ok system yesterday to upgrade some 15 to 22 on the flow and return rad circuit. Refilled and bled up. Fired boiler up, had hot water and rads for 3-4 hours... Turned off to cool. Boiler would not fire on timer later, demand wouldnt work either...
Replies
Views
My heating system comprises an Ideal Logic 12 boiler located downstairs and a Gledhill OV SOL cylinder located upstairs . The problem is that when the Gledhill controls for the “hot water” and “central heading” are turned on the Ideal boiler makes a constant “clicking” noise and tries to start...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock