Discuss Boiler fault diagnosis before getting go ahead from letting agent to do work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marco

Big dilema on this...As not too busy...
Done a couple of small jobs for a letting agent. They want you to turn up, diagnose problem, estimate cost, then get permission to do job! Contract manager can only approve upto £70, above that needs someone else to approve, which may mean going back later or another day. So worked for small jobs, but....

But got a call for a job with boiler going to lock out. Still new to boiler fault diagnosis, and as its going to lock out, so could be a few things. Could take longer to id problem than actually fix it. Good news is that in theory job is mine, but stressed as what if theres more than one thing wrong with it and fix first thing (that got permission for!) but still needs more work?

I can understand that they need a quote for a job and it will need approving, but with boiler fault diagnosis, how long is a piece of string?! Anyone had a similar experience or ideas? I can't turn work down really, but don't want to get stung if there are a few things wrong with it?

Cheers
Mark

basically fault it and quote for spares but advise could be other issues you cant tell until new part is fitted

as gasman says, there is a sequential order that the boiler lights, you could replace the part that stops the boiler but there may be other problems. DONT say to them that this IS the fault.

i would just give a price without telling them what the problm is ive had this before with a letting agents getting me round to diagnose then getting the cheapest quote for the job

Agree with gas man and if they are worth working for, then they will understand. Trouble is many want you to diagnose, then go back a week later when they have permission but only charge for one visit. I insist on payment for diagnoise, and then a separate payment for repair if i have to leave the job due to them not been able to authorise it on the initial visit but this has lost me work with some letting agents.

They even said that other gas engineers they use will often not charge for a diagnose, as they will often get a boiler swop out of it! it feels a bit like they are dangling the carrot! I believe flat was a reposession and was empty for a while. So could be sludged up and oh...no time control or room thermostat! Feels like possible can of worms!

If these other engineers are so good, why are they asking you to do work ? I .have learnt over the years that dangling carrots don't often pay the mortgage. Got fed up with one agent sending me to jobs upon which tenant would tell me that i was the 3rd / 4th engineer to be sent out - used all cheaper ones first. I would stick to your guns, do the job right and then charge accordingley.

I often have to diagnose boiler faults for a letting agent that I do work for. I produce a written quote which goes to the landlord for approval. They understand that I am always a bit vague about the cause of the fault and the parts that are required to fix it. As they know that some of their landlords will try and fix it themselves and therefore cutting us both out. I have even had unscruplous landlords call me for part numbers etc so they can fix it on the quiet. I normaly give them part number 247744 which is a 1/2 washer as it's the only one I can remember. Always makes me laugh when they ring back and ask what they're suppose to do with it. :cheesy:

Turn up and try to find the fault then immediately disconnect it and label it up claim your £70 and tell em that you could not garantee that repairing the fault will fix the problem as there may be associated problems

Like your thinking (and wording) unguided1 ! Label as what AR or ID? To be honest hadn't thought about that aspect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler fault diagnosis before getting go ahead from letting agent to do work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock